Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Another Canadian inquiry...

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Littlesturgeon, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Littlesturgeon

Littlesturgeon New Member

I have been researching doing a Canadian hunt for about a year and a half. I've researched every aspect of the trip, where/when, crossing the boareder,etc. mainly looking for dry field mallard hunts. I am looking at making this an annual event and building relationships with some land owners.

I wanted to reach out to any of the member that wouldn't mind giving there two cents, I know there are tons of threads out there with infromation. I just would like some straight talk. I have some deep connections with in the fishing industry and would be willing to trade some tackle for good information. Please send me a private message if you are willing to help out.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

A field that works this year, might not work next year.
    For that matter,
    A field that works this week, might not work next week.
    Dry years. Wet years. Early Winter. Late Winter. It changes every year.

I have areas I want to start in, but I always prepare to drive 200 miles to find the birds.

3. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

You sound a lot like I did prepping for my first trip last year. My advice is this: Google Earth and basically any other maps are your friend. If you have researched as much as you claim, then you have a general idea of where to go. The information is out there already, it is just a matter afterwards of willing to accept being with the masses or applying some geographical sense and maybe finding areas others may not think of based on conditions. We actually had guys travelling into where we were last year from their usual hunting areas because the bird numbers just weren't what they were looking for there. I credit it to a lot of time with the map studying and trying to find an area off the beaten track that was still likely to be holding good numbers of birds - and it worked. Snows, honkers, puddlers, divers, were all abound but given the time of year we went specks and sandhills were gone.

Mobility, as NV noted, is also key. We were travelling 50 miles every direction out there finding shoots based on what we were seeing and hearing once on the ground. There were some very early mornings travelling to some spots we found, but it was well worth it. You are coming for the hunting after all, so make sure to put the effort in and make it worthwhile. Scouting and door knocking is still part of the game if you want to have success, no matter where you are.