Another "decoy" ID question.

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Vandy Grift, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Vandy Grift

Vandy Grift Refuge Member

Hello,
    I'm not really a decoy collector. Although I have a few vintage ones, I'm not very educated about collectible decoys. My fiancee is always bringing home various decoys from thrift shops etc. Everything from old plastic and paper ones to a few decent wood ones now and again. Mostly junk. She gave me this one for Christmas. It's obviously not a worker, and it has a huge split in it, which is fine but kind of unfortunate. I really like the way the head is carved, the shape of it. So I will put it on a shelf.

Anyway, as you can see in the pics it has a brand Y.U.P LTD on it. Also, it's signed "Made in Ilchester? Maryland", Bufflehead Drake #13, the year 1989, and a name which I can't read. Possibly Richard something. I just thought it was interesting and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.
    IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1550.JPG IMG_1551.JPG

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, I can't help. Cool little bird. The age split is common on solid body birds.

3. Vandy Grift

Yeah, they are very often split. It doesn't bother me, although I'm hoping at some point it doesn't split in half completely.

Found out a little more looking around. The carvers name is Richard Gick and he must have changed the company name to R & F Decoys at some point. Here is a little Canvasback someone is selling on E-Bay. $_57 (1).jpg $_57.jpg

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Not what I'd consider collectable, but cool little birds nonetheless.

5. Vandy Grift

I agree. We obviously didn't unearth a treasure but I do like it. Came out of Maryland but I'm in WI so that's cool.

The Canvasback in the ebay listing does look small and I believe it said it was 7" long. The Bufflehead is actually a lifesized model.

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Nice little Buffie ! I even like the fissure it has----a definite keeper !

Ringbill

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The buffie has some real character. Perfect mantle piece. :tu

8. Kelli

Kelli New Member

It was carved by Richard Gick. A decoy carver in Ellicott City, Md. He and his wife, Fran, carved out of their home on Ilchester Road (hence R&F Decoy). I’m not sure if either are still alive. They were wonderful people and referred to themselves as “old hippies”. Their house was torn down years ago.

9. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If you’re from Wisconsin you are in the Mecca for working birds. There are countless carvers around Lake Winnebago. There is a decoy show that is held the 1st weekend in March in Oshkosh. I don’t supposed I’ve missed that show more than three times in 40 years. Canvasback are the primary fare however you can find any species you want. Everyone puts the decoys on their bed and opens the door, everyone wonders from room to room. And every room has plenty of beer. Great time.

10. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

howard county-home of St. Mary's College Near Ellicot City.