Another Phil Robertson thread: as duck hunters, should we support him?

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by 1 shot kill, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 1 shot kill

1 shot kill Moderator Moderator

What are your thoughts?

This day in age it is not socially acceptable to openly bash somebody over something such as sexual orientation. Yes, "it's his religious belief," but he over stepped his reason boundaries with his added personal opinions. He is a public figure. He makes his money from the public, rather it be sells or entertainment, he needs to show respect to all of the public. Most importantly, rather we like it or not, he is the most well know representative of our sport.

Do we want somebody perceived as a bigot representing us to a public that knows little to nothing about our sport? Do you want people to assume you are the exact same once you tell them you're a waterfowler?

People see it as him having pride, and not bending for anybody. How many gun, decoy, clothing companies have these guys bounced back and forth from over the past few years?

I'm sure some will rake me over the coals for this, but next month starts 2014. We should accept everybody for who they want to be. Just like a post on here; you don't like it, don't pay it no attention.

2. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

Personally I'M SICK TO DEATH of social acceptable and politically correctness. Its about time people grew a set and accepted the fact that not everyone thinks the same,believes the same or acts the same. GETOVERIT

The man was asked a question and he answered according to his beliefs. People have every right,last time I checked, to express their opinion in this country,regardless if someone thinks its offensive. It offends me for people that can work, to sit home living off of the government and if some asks me what I think, I'm going to tell them and not care if it offends them or not.
    This country is turning into a country full of crybabies.
    Again..GETOVERIT

So, Yes, I will support him

3. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Why...were you offended by his religious views? Everyone is a bigot in some way, shape or fashion. I'm glad he has the nuts to voice his opinion and not let a miniscule part of society dictate what is right and what is wrong in a majority of Christians' eyes. It actually wouldn't surprise me one bit that he intentionally voiced what he did to get him out of the limelight Willie seems to have placed the family in...if so, it is a brilliant chess move...just watch and see. The man is a ton smarter than most think. :cool:

4. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

He is entitled to his opinion and his freedom to voice it.

His employer, or anyone associated with his business ventures has the right to chose not to do business with him if he expresses his viewpoints in an insensitive manner.

He being a duck hunter has nothing to do with anything. Personally, I don't agree with him, but I also think A&E went too far in kicking him off the show. I would agree that we have gone too far with condemning people for voicing their opinions.

Ultimately, it is what it is and if Phil really wanted to remain on the show (which I'm not sure that he did), he should have known better than to say some of the things he said.

This is truth.

5. JMM

JMM Elite Refuge Member

I am a duck hunter and I support and applaud his statement .

6. 1 shot kill

I agree, he is not a dumb man. I'm not offended by his religious views. I'm saying that I don't agree on his embellishment of his belief. I'm sure he has a lot of religious beliefs that you guys wouldn't agree with.

I believe that he didn't want to be a part of the show any longer, so why not go out and with a bang and draw attention to the show and business.

7. Dennis McCullar

Dennis McCullar Elite Refuge Member

I am a straight, Christian duck hunter. And I not only support his right to voice his opinion, I also agree with it. And I too am sick and tired of people getting their feelings hurt when someone does not agree with their lifestyle.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

No...

Support him for duck hunting if his conservation efforts fall in line with your own...

Support his religious/political ideals if they support your own...

I hope I never support anyone's politics or religious ideals simply because they load up a shotgun and shoot ducks.

I never really liked his videos (although he and his "crew" are good duck hunters). I certainly do not care for his TV show currently, and his religious/political views certainly do not mirror my own enough to elect him for office...

And finally the question remains, support him for what exactly???

9. Dennis McCullar

Dennis McCullar Elite Refuge Member

So you're saying its ok for him to have his beliefs, but he should sit quietly in the corner and not express them?

Would that be like telling gays it's ok to be queer, but keep it in the closet?

10. 1 shot kill

Support him as a representative of this sport.

Good statement, sir!