Another point to ponder

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by EvanG, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

When working on cheating singles I only use bumpers, mostly because of my lack of birds.

Sometimes I use the gun but more often not. I usually train alone and don't have a blank pistol so it gets to be a hassle.

I use repeats. I don't repeat often but if at that moment in time it will help the dog solidify his understanding of what I want or an opportunity for me to better teach what I want I will use it.

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Is there anyone here who feels they may not thoroughly understand the scope and/or purpose of Cheating Singles?

EvanG

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

its to keep them from cheating:h

4. bullpinnie

Here is a good series of videos to intro to Swim by..

5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I don't. I think I developed a decent understanding for the concepts and training techniques thru basics but I'm struggling with transition. As a result we aren't progressing like we should. My dog is doing great but I often wonder where she would be if she were in the hands of a more experienced trainer. I found an article you wrote on swim by I'm going to print and digest. We were late in accomplishing this task and I never did find a good location so we've just improvised. I'm not totally clear on our goals for this task either.

I'm sort of training in a bubble over here.

6. bullpinnie

TH

It sounds like your hound is doing just fine.......Rome wasn't built in a day. I know you were running started when we met, but it sounds like your dog is ready for Seasoned, or finished. Which are you training for?......What is your goal for fall tests?

IMO, Swim by is more of a finished level drill.....However, If I had trained SB, or cheating singles, I would have two dogs with seasoned titles instead of just one. :nutz...we're working on that now.

&....BTW, The Technical Pond at Smithville is a great set up for swim by ( & cheating singles)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. Timber Hole

Funny you mention Rome.......my youngest kid is in Rome today and it took him 21 years to get there. Probably cause he had the same trainer as the dog ;)

We are training for seasoned. I wouldn't mind getting the started title but not sure what I'll do. Are the tests in the Midwest done for the summer?

8. bullpinnie

I'm sort of in the same situation, my girl has three seasoned passes, but I'm training for finished with my other dog. ........So basically training both dogs to run Finished in the fall. I'm not sure both dogs will get there, but I Imagine that I'll be running both dogs in Finished........ so why bother getting a seasoned title?.

There are some AKC test in WI, MN, and IA this summer, but as far as I know midwest HRC tests are done (or closed).

Congrats on you kid going to Rome. I never had the chance to go until I was 51.........Honestly, I am a pretty big redneck, and never really had any of Europe on my bucket list. I always figured I rather be hunting in Alaska, or Montana, or something............But my kids were studying abroad last year, so I figured, what the heck. I'm glad I did. Rome is an amazing place. lots of history, lots of good food. i recommend it!

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

1. Because it will take fewer Finished passes for a title.
    2. What states do you consider as 'midwest' ?

10. Timber Hole

For me the midwest would likely mean MO or one of the bordering states. We have a club meeting coming up so I was going to ask there also. I would probably run started again if I could do it in the next month or so.