another tire question

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Ferg1, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ferg1

Ferg1 Senior Refuge Member

I have similar tire questions to the one recently asked but I dont want to hijack that thread so here goes.

I need new tires for my 2011 Chevy 1500 4x4. Should I continue with the all season highway style that I had or switch over to all terrains. I have been happy with the fuel economy that I get with the all season tires that came standard and also have never gotten stuck with them. Will I notice a giant fuel economy hit if I switch to ATs?

Things to consider
    1. I do a fair amount of driving off road on fields.
    2. I foresee myself driving less interstate miles overall but still will make long trips yearly.
    3. I am now picking up snow goose hunting. That means possibly scouting more and more on road miles but also possible more driving on fields or dirt roads.
    4. I dont hunt close to home as much as I used to. Now I usually hunt 45 min away or so.
    5. Up to this point I havent had any major problems with traction.

What I am looking for is just some advice on whether or not the switch to ATs would be worth it in terms of fuel economy loss.

2. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

My 2011 F-150 (2 wd) had all season Hancooks from the factory. Averaged 19-20 Hwy and city. Needed tires and all they had at the time was Bridgestone AT. Mileage is now 16-17 combined.

My 02 GMC has always had Firestone AT's I don't have a fancy mileage indicator, and don't bother to check it much, but figure it would do a little better with AS as well.

At the end of the day, you may dro a mile or two going to AT's of any type. Results may vary. Then again, get the wrong AS and be in the same boat possibly.

3. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

Nitto Terra Grapplers are a nice option for all-terrain on my 3rd set. The new Goodyear Wrangler MTs have rain grooves which is nice feature for mud tires.

4. justinduckman7

justinduckman7 Senior Refuge Member

I have the cooper st maxx on my f350 and yes lost alittle mileage but truck goes in the snow mid rain 10 fold better. But as stated above nitro terra grapplers are a good choice and so are bfg all terrains

5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I have goodyear Silent Armor's and have got 75K out of each set. I drive 45miles each way to work and get 17mpg out of them with a 5.4. Never got stuck in any fields or woods and have towed up to a 8k pound boat. I like them. BTW they have kevlar in them.

6. cutdownolt12

cutdownolt12 Senior Refuge Member

Go get a good set of bfg all terrain their aggressive when needed, quiet and ride great also don't rob mpgs. If rotated every 5000 miles they will last for 60+

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm pretty fond of my Duratracs; quiet and do great in rain, pretty aggressive for an AT. Haven't noticed much of a mileage hit although I don't drive that rig a huge amount.

8. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

Who makes these Duratracs? I've never heard of them.

9. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

stick with your all season highway tires. if you truly need all terrain tires, you probably shouldn't be driving in the farmer's field anyway.

10. justinduckman7

justinduckman7 Senior Refuge Member

Good year makes the duratrac tire.