Another trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Spec, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Looks like my wife and I will be coming to Alaska in June or July for our 4th trip to your great state. I have never seen much of the North above Anchorage and wondered if I should make it a few days of visiting the North part of the state, things to do and see let me know by PM or e-mail as we are just starting to look at how we will do this trip. I know I want to get one day of fishing in for halibut the rest is wide open.

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Well, there is that large piece of granite rock sticking up out of the ground in Denali National Park. Take the bus ride in and check out the critters. Hopefully not raining that day. Wet critters don't take good photos.

You can go to Talkeetna and take a sight seeing tour of Denali and fly over the glaciers and peaks.

In Fairbanks you can take a stern wheeler river boat down the river and check out dog mushing, cabins, and "old timey" villages.

While up there you can also check out the pipeline and some gold panning in Fox at a tourist trap.

You can rent a car and drive across the Denali Highway that cuts through the middle of the lower section of the state. It is one of the few back roads that don't dead end and actually goes some where. Stop in at Alpine Creek Lodge. I prefer to head west to east since the views that unfold to the east are more pronounced. Wrangles and what not are not hidden behind lessor mountians like Denali is. While on the Denali stop at one of the creeks like Clearwater Creek and catch a grayling or two.

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

if you go to Denali, make sure to drop by the Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge. My wife will be working the front desk from May through September.

4. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Are you coming up too?

My duck hunting buddy works up there on the maintence team. He loves your feeder wigeon I bought a few years ago.

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

you should get me his name. I'm going to have Connie bring a pair of decoys up there just in case there is someone to show them to. I don't have any intention for her to bring them home, I'm just telling her to give them to someone while she is there who would use them. Connie will be landing in Anchorage the morning of the 9th of may and heading up that afternoon. I don't know what might happen as far as me getting up there, we have well over 1000 decoys on order right now, but I'd sure like to come up. We lived in Fairbanks in 80 and 81 and have a lot of friends we haven't seen in over 30 years.

6. portage

portage Refuge Member

Well no halibut in the interior, but we could sure catch grayling and do some waterfowl watching.

I will send you a PM

Thanks Erick