Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Antelope

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by musher, Jul 24, 2016.

1. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Starting to look into a 2017 antelope hunt for the wife (and maybe me to). We lived in Colorado for a number of years and she always liked antelope hunting and would like to go back out west for another hunt. Its been 20 years since we hunted out west and I'm expecting things have changed as far as access. We hunted around Casper WY before in the Shirley Basin and could generally get access by asking.

We are open to any state really but are focusing on WY and MT just due to reduce drive time and antelope populations. Not looking for trophy bucks, would be happy with the opportunity for 12" buck. Wife said she would be happy with a doe. I love mule deer and wouldn't mind the chance at a combo hunt, antelope for her, deer tag for me, if possible.

We still have a wall tent and all our gear from the days when we used to elk hunt so we are looking to camp out and hunt. Health issue prevent her from a lot of hiking so road access needs to be considered. Not opposed to a reasonable trespass fee.

Any suggestions on places to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Do you already have points in WY?

If not and you want to hunt WY you should buy one now. You will still be restricted to the NE part of the state. Most areas are taking 3-4 points to draw for NR.

I'll be glad to help you out if you chose to come to WY.

3. musher

Thanks icebreaker.

I was afraid of the point issue as we don't have any points. I was hoping that it hadn't got that bad even for antelope. I assume the areas with a lot of private land might be easier to draw but requires paying for access or going through a guide. If I remember right, back in the day the red desert area was about the only place it took points to draw an antelope tag.

I'll download the WY regs and read through them and get familiar with the areas and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Berganser likes this.
  4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

You can buy points until Oct. 31

5. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

Wyoming Antelope------------I had 3 Preference Points and Received my Any Antelope Tag. I was Denied the Doe / Fawn Tag.
    Heading out there Sept. 25 We will be staying in Casper.
    Dad got the same.
    I hope you can make it there. Good Luck!!

6. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

You'll be seriously bummed out at how much popularity Wyoming has gained. We used to draw every year (early 90's) as non residents. Buying extra doe tags ahead of time wasn't even a consideration. We would hunt, shoot our bucks, and go buy a doe tag if we wanted more meat. The hunting is still great, unfortunately the "cats out of the bag" and Wyoming antelope has turned into the most popular out of state hunting destination in the country.

7. musher

Realizing that real quick. Back in the day (late 80's early 90's) I believe we use to pay $20 or $25 for doe tags over the counter and some years we could get 4 or 5. I remember that there was a time when their was a coupon on the tag that you gave to the landowner if they let you on and you harvested an antelope. I think they got like $7 for every coupon.
    Tough to find a reasonably priced (or what I consider reasonable) hunt anymore.

8. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

I too, remember that! I forgot about the coupons you mentioned. We would take care of the landowners whether we filled our tags on their land or not. The Internet has had such an impact on hunting. There are multiple forums where people list a step by step process to DIY Wyoming Antelope. There are still lots of Antelope, but the good ole days are gone. I'd suggest an off season scouting trip to talk with some landowners about your wife's situation, and maybe find a rancher who likes to see antelope get shot!

9. musher

We always made sure a landowner got our coupons.

Good point about finding the landowners that want them shot. We used to hunt a place east of Denver by Kiowa Colorado and that farmer hated antelope. He had wheat and said that the antelope passed some kind of weed in their crap that was a pain to keep out of the wheat fields so he wanted them all dead. We used to hunt that place for deer, antelope and coyote in exchange for a gift of a smoked ham or something every year. I shot the biggest whitetail in my life there. Many years ago the farmer passed away, the ranch was bought up by a huge cooperate farm and the hunting rights were leased. Last I checked the outfitter was charging around $5,000 for a 4 day deer hunt on the place.

I miss the old days.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We use to buy the NR doe tags over the counter on the west side. Lots of public land lots of antelope, fun family hunt,.. then we got into archery elk