Anthony Bourdain and the Suicide Epidemic

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hartfish, Jun 8, 2018.

1. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

So sad to see another person that seemed to have so much take their own life. I'll never understand what compels someone to leave a family in grief like this. In his case, he had an 11-year-old daughter. I just don't get it.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

Suicide is now the 10th leading cause of death in America.

More than a decade of steadily rising rates have made suicide the nation’s 10th leading cause of death and one of only three causes of death — including Alzheimer’s disease and drug overdoses — that are increasing in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In a report that examines trends in suicide at the state level from 1999 to 2016, the CDC says suicide rates have increased in nearly every state. In half the states, the agency found the rate rose more than 30 percent.

In releasing the report — the same week fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead by suicide — CDC officials noted that more than half of those who died by suicide — 54 percent — did not have a known diagnosed mental health condition.

A new study on suicide trends in 27 states found that many victims acted after relationship problems or loss; substance misuse; physical health problems; or job, money, legal or housing stress.
    http://www.omaha.com/news/nation/su...cle_7b5f1b59-76fa-5fdf-a08e-b14bccc2749c.html

pintail2222 and widgeon like this.
  2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

i you could listen to the police/fire scanners, you'd be shocked at how many ATTEMPTED suicide calls are answered every day. It truly is an epidemic and not understandable.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Bourdain hits me really hard because I very much enjoyed his showed and his take on life. I would also think that this is just something he wouldn't ever do.

As per suicide, like many other things I think it is the internet. 1. People get the idea because they see it frequently in the news, social media, etc. 2. People become fixated more and more about how they compare to the bigger world rather than their smaller world.

In the end, it is a sense of disfranchisement. Folks need to understand that there are many levels of community/family/social circle and that we all add value to those. Heck even the Fuge is a community in a sense.

Have good weekend, hug the ones you love, and pick up the phone and call an old friend just to say hi.

pintail2222, sacbob, widgeon and 2 others like this.
  4. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

I feel sorry for anyone who is such a tortured soul, that for what ever reason, they feel Suicide is the only way to get peace.

mallard drive and widgeon like this.
  5. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

March 30 my grandfather took his own life. Grandma started in on him about a girlfriend he had 70 years ago and he asked her to stop. She kept badgering so he went and got a 20 ga Model 12 our of his closet and that was the end of it.

6. hartfish

I guess actually learning something about someone is a bit too much, but in case you want to broaden you mind...
    In the meantime, stay classy.

"In 2007, he spoke with Reason.tv about the government's efforts to "infantilize" consumers via food regulations and his "libertarian instincts."
    He also believed in the First Amendment, regardless of what the speaker had to say. "I support your inalienable right to say really stupid, offensive s**t and believe really stupid, offensive s**t that I don't agree with," Bourdain said when Boston Mayor Tom Menino pledged to ban Chik-fil-A from his city because company president Dan Cathy opposed same-sex marriage. "I support that, and I might even eat your chicken sandwich."
    Bourdain also praised the immigrant work ethic—another reason it is so devastating to lose him now. In 2000's Kitchen Confidential, he wrote about the essential role immigrants have played in the evolution of America's food scene and how America has benefited by providing opportunities to people fleeing war and poverty. The "exile" class of line cooks—"Refugees, usually emigres and immigrants for whom cooking is preferable to death squads, poverty or working in a sneaker factory for two dollars a day"—were some of his favorite characters in the kitchen. He even preferred them to culinary masterminds:
    'When a job applicant starts telling me how Pacific Rim cuisine turns him on and inspires him, I see trouble coming. Send me another Mexican dishwasher anytime. I can teach him to cook. I can't teach character. Show up at work on time six months in a row and we'll talk about red curry paste and lemongrass. Until then, I have four words for you: "Shut the f**k up.'"
    http://reason.com/blog/2018/06/08/anthony-bourdain-lover-of-food-and-enemy

pintail2222 likes this.
  7. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

Bourdain was also according to himself under the influence of drugs a lot of the time while he was a chef

8. hartfish

So? I don't fault a man for his demons. He not only sobered up, he advocated for those without a voice, both of which say a lot about a man's character.

9. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

I agree, but I have a hard time believing he was 100 % sober

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Yes and no one has shown a brighter spotlight on the effects of that lifestyle in the restaurant industry.