Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Antler Restrictions

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

O.K. guys let's here your opinions on Antler Restrictions. Public land & private land. I for one am against them. I'll let other guys post up & then I'll jump back in.

Right now in Pa. the state started AR last year. In my neck of the woods & roughly 10 counties around me a legal buck must have 4 points per side at least an 1" long. The rest of the state 3 ponts per side at least 1" long. Junior hunters (12-16), disabled individuals, & military personell any buck even a spike.

2. Big eyed fish

Big eyed fish Senior Refuge Member

Here is WI I think it would be a good idea because we have so many deer anyways if you really want the meat you can always shoot a doe plus who doesn't want a chance at big buck when they go out and with antler restrictions you will have a better chance

3. MT H2OFowl

MT H2OFowl Senior Refuge Member

The only antler restrictions we have here are on mulies. And they are mostly just in the southwest part of the state. The only antler restrictions on whitetails is that they must be 4 inches long. The only thing that really hurts whitetails around here is really deep crusted-over snow.

4. beav

beav Elite Refuge Member

I think it has the definite potential to work. My own experience is anecdotal, but we're seeing much bigger deer.

In a number of heavily hunted places, you have a whole lot of doe and a bunch of bucks about 1 1/2 years old. In many places, 95% of the bucks don't make it past their 2nd Winter. The buck/doe ratio gets really low and you have a bunch of young bucks doing all the breeding. Plus you don't give the area the chance to produce big antlers.

That said, in areas not heavily hunted, I doubt there's any real benefit.

5. Hitman

Great post Beav! I think this could be a real good thread. Pro's & con's. 1st off a little back ground, I own a nice chunk of land & can control the # of hunter's ect. The fields are planted with corn, oats, alfalfa, wheat. Nice bunch of oaks & hickorys, multiflora rose, japaneese honeysuckle, this area feeds & holds deer, alot of 'em. My land borders state land. Here is one point I'd like to make for starters.
    Scenario-
    Here in Pa. you have to pass on small bucks, no problem with that. Now according to AR's in Pa. a buck must have 4 points to a side with a point at least an inch long. Spikes, 3's,4's,5's,6's are off limits to me. No big deal yet. O.K. here comes a 12" wide 8 point, estimation 1.5 year old buck. I let him pass because I've shot my share of racks (since I was 12, smallest a 5 with a nub, he was a 6 to me back then), so anyway he walks. He goes down over the high wall across the crick (Pa.lingo!), into state land. BANG ,he's dead! Perfectly legal under AR. IMHO you can't control a public herd like a high fenced operation.
    That was just 1 of my scenarios on the con's of AR. Keep posting away guys. There will be valid points brought up on both sides of the fence!

6. Hitman

Bump, c'mon Beav, let's get this thread going.

7. roscoe

roscoe Senior Refuge Member

I believe in antler restrictions when done right. Here in the Black Hills of South Dakota They put ARs in effect that a buck must have at least two points on one antler, didn't seem like it would do much to me, but since the regulation went into effect I have begun to see a lot nicer bucks.

On the other hand a few years back they tried a four point per side antler restriction in one county here to try and create trophy bucks, but the problem was to many guys were shootoing deer on the run and what not and after they approached the dead deer and realized it wasn't a four point they had to leave it lay. and there were alot of deer lying around.

so I'm kindof mixed on the subject myself It would work alot better if there weren't so manny slob hunters out there.

8. DUCKHNTER

DUCKHNTER Senior Refuge Member

IF YOU WANT TO KILL A REALLY NICE BUCK YOU HAVE TO LET THE LITTLE ONES WALK. AM TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE AN 8 PT 20 INC. NOW IF YOUR HUNTING WITH A KID OR 1ST YEAR HUNTER LET THEM SHOT BUT IF YOU HAVE A ROOM FULL OF SMALL 4 TO 8 PTS AND YOU JUST WANT TO KILL A DEER...SHOT A DOE AND LET THE SMALL 8 WALK. HE MIGHT BE THE BUCK OF A LIFETIME IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS. JUST MY POINT OF VIEW
    DUCKHNTER

9. Hitman

DUCKHNTER, I agree you got to let them walk, but what happens when you let him walk & someone else wacks him? Here in Pa. I think we're protecting the wrong deer. IMO, you don't shoot your prize bull & let younger ones breed.

Another Scenario-
    You see a spiker, illegal according to AR so you have to pass. Next year he's a 4 or 6, again you pass. Following year he's a bigger 6 or decent 8. During the years he's been protected, that buck has bred does & passed his crap genes on.

10. missed mallards

missed mallards Senior Refuge Member

have to agree with duckhunter. in the last 3 years my friend and i have let severeal 6's,8's, and 10's walk. these deer have been from 14 inches to 17 inches nice quality deer. in the last few weekends it seems to being paying off. my friend has seen a huge 10 pointer, i've seen two very siezable 8's. with rut in full string around us the elusive buck is becomeing harder to shot. the only problem we are having is we haven't shot a doe in 5 years on the place. that makes for fun activity but less buck activity. in the past year my friend shot 2 8's in the 18,19 inch scoreing well above 130"around here thats a decent deer" if you set your standards and let the small bucks walk you may see some quality deer around your place. it helps if all of you and your buddies can do the same thats what has helped out on our hunting situation. well thats my 2 cents worth