Antler Restrictions

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 16, 2003.

1. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

I dont think they are doing much wondering on 10,000 acres.
    W.:nutz

2. DUCKHNTER

DUCKHNTER Senior Refuge Member

No public land around there. Most deer are born and die in a 2 mile area. ya a buck might move around some during the rut. But he will always come back to his "home range," and no there are no fences.

3. jlalley

jlalley Elite Refuge Member

Mike,

How heavy is the pressure on the state land next to your property? Last night I was talking with a shop owner down here in Hanover and where he hunts in Potter County, the hunting slows right down after the first three days.

I know you are hung up on the state land thing, but what about anytime during the year when some yuppie from D.C. is driving along the road adjacant to your property and slams that legal buck. You let that buck slide over the years to become mature and this seems to happen probably more than a hunter taking one out.

If you have the opportunity I would rotate your hunting pressure from year to year. I wouldn't set 30 acres aside when one year, you could set the whole portion of property aside. On off years maybe stand hunting your property for does is will with keeping the pressure low.

4. BlackSwampSpecial

BlackSwampSpecial Moderator<br>Arkansas Forum

On the cache river in Arkansas lookin up at a wood
    Down here we have a three point rule statewide( thats 3 on one side) on the states public ground it is four points on one side.
    This is either the 4th or 5th year of this and I have always killed average bucks within the ar restriction but this year I killed the best buck of my life to date. All this is really doing is protecting the first year deer that I can tell, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

5. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

Jlalley, great suggestion about rotating the pressure. I have 400 acres. The pressure on state land next to me is extremely heavy, for the first couple days. Then of course Saturday, & the last day. The road hunters are horrible! I've planted all kinds of pines, shrubs, to try & hide the fields from spot lighters (another pet peeve of mine but that's another subject). I have alot of does that run in here, get pushed in from state land. Ever here of a place called Hell's Hollow? It's the back end of McConnel's Mill's State park. Sheer cliffs, & highwalls along the Slippery Rock Creek. This borders the back of my property. There are truely some monster bucks on the cric bottom. No one, not even me will go in after them. I shot a buck down there when I was 17 @ 9:00 a.m. It took me literally all day to get the buck out. I've often thought about taking a pack frame down there & quarting it up with the head. I know a few people who go in with mules & thought about getting one of them, but I'm not parcial to horses. I got 2 of them & they hate me as much as I hate them! If you get a chance look at a topo map of Hell's Hollow & McConnell's Mill
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/mcconnellsmill.asp#wildlife
    alot of people get killed there white water rafting, repelling, the undertow is extremely powerfull. Every year people drown down there. Really scenic & beautiful but dangerous. It's the perfect bear habitat. We've seen bear around here a few times. I don't bear hunt in Pa. anymore but I've always wanted to hunt the back side of the gorge. I'd be the first person to bag a bear in Lawrence Co.

6. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

Not always so the Neibhor kid kills lots of deer every year (very liberal tags where he hunts including deer damage tags) He got the #1 buck in his area one year a 200+ pound 6 point with only a 17in inside spread. (granted he did have some good mass)According to him, he was on his bow stand and saw the 6 pt kick the living snot out of a 10 pt with bout a 18-20 inside spread. Rack size does not always mean dominant buck. Body size and attidue can make up for a small rack.

In the very very very long run ar's will lead to smaller and smaller bucks. Unless, like some one mentioned you kill the three and four year old spikes and forks. Just MHO

7. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure but I think PA is only going to keep the AR's implemented for a short time period (@3-4yrs) in order to build some age into the herd and in doing so produce some mature bucks.

In areas of the state I frequent, everyone is happy cause there is little to no state ground around them for other hunters to impact their ability to let the 14" 8pts walk. But most folks I've spoken to that hunt state ground and other less deer populated areas have said "I've seen more racked bucks this year than I have my whole life hunting in PA." Now that says to me that something is working but I'm sure their definition of racked buck is quite different from your and mine Hitman.

I agree Hitman, its not gonna favor you since you have that state ground next to you where the first legal deer seen dies. But overall if you allow your deer to mature you will develop a better mature buck overall. Those mature bucks will do the majority of the breeding and strengthen the genetics that much better. But in reality your biggest smartest bucks will get through season and you will continue to see good buck genetics for years to come.

It doesn't do anything for the nutrition side of the equation though. If you really truly want better bucks and stronger does going into winter, you need to supplement with a high protein feed and that is only going to get done on private grounds for the most part. And PA folks can't keep the feeder going (legally) through season.

JMO
    Doug

8. jlalley

jlalley Elite Refuge Member

Feeding wildlife is the wrong way to, it gives a false sense of a strong habitat. Besides its helping to contribute to CWD and its providing a habitat in which the weak will survive with the strong.

It comes down to habitat and bascially we have far too many deer now then we had when settlers first showed up. Nutrition is important but do you think the buck Mike shot just appeared with a new genetic strane in the last five years.

We have more ag fields now, more trees that produce mass nuts, all kinds of orchards and Martha Stewart running around landscaping people's property.

We have changed the habitat so much and our way of thinking, that here in the NE we rarely see those monster deer. A habitat is only big enough to support its population. I would rather have 6 big deer that range from 150 to 250lbs. live weight, than 12 deer that range from 80 to 120 lbs. live weight on my property.

9. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

My brother told you about the antler restrictions we have here in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Which is two points on one side. And these restrictions are for the buck only tags. They alos issue anydeer tags which mean ANY DEER doe spikes bucks or what have you

10. trex

trex Senior Refuge Member

We instituted a 3 point to one side rule this year at one of the clubs I belong to. Glad to see it. I also used to hunt up in Pa and was happy for the guys I used to hunt with when they instituted the AR rules. So were they! One thing I dont understand is why people think a spike is always a spike or a 4 pointer always a 4 pointer. Sure it happens sometimes but its been proven that it is not very likely. I read an article on the QDM website the other year on it as a matter a fact. Another thing I got to thinking about is when folks think that they HAVE to have 500 or more acres to make an impact on the deer in the area. You can actually set your area up by creating thicker cover along the boundaries and food for them towards the inside of the property. That gives them security and food. If you have any type of water then they need nothing else. Cover, food, water=deer. Anything you can do will at the very least help.