Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Antler Restrictions

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hitman, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

The following is an option that the Arkansas G&FC is looking at for change in this states AR. I kinda like this option for the young hunters, and because it starts to address the protection of the BEST genetics while they are still young.

"Four or less total points or any buck with four points on one side. (two buck bag limit). Based on 2002 biological data and simulated statewide the slot would protect 35% (7,273 deer) of yearlings with five and six points total. Slot will also protect 34% (8,600 deer) of the two and a half year old bucks with five and six points total. The slot will also protect the quality yearlings and allow the inferior quality deer to be harvested."

I like this change. Really the only problem I have with it, is I am sure that they will come out with a total bag limit of three deer with this option. If that is what they do, we will still be taking out more buck then doe.:mad:

2. MALLARD MAGICIAN

For this to occur like you are saying then you have to assume that hunters are taking out the BIGGEST bucks, only, (which they are not under AR) & that all the Trophy bucks are killed prior to breeding or during very early rut (which is usually not the case).

But smaller racks can occur under ARs with handsoff management of the plan, and it can occur much faster then in 100 years.

3. Blake H

Blake H Elite Refuge Member

AR are the best thing we did on our property. You wont see any bucks shot unless they gross 130 or higher. Do what you want on your own land, but here, you shoot bambi you will be asked to leave.

4. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

You know I've been thinking about this thread for a long time. I think good points were brought up & 1 thing everybody seems to agree on is that AR's will produce bigger racks. I kinda got side tracked for a while during this whole debate but I have to ask this, what about the guy who is tickled with shooting a spike or Y buck? What about the guy who just started hunting? Here in Pa. juniors age 12-16 are allowed any buck, but say there is a guy that is 30 years old & goes out for the first time. If he shot a spike or a Y buck, I would bet my last buck :)l ) that it would be a trophy to him. My point is there are people who are just as happy with tagging a small buck. Should we as hunter's & the game manager's begrudge them & tell them you should've shot a doe? IMHO I say no.

5. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Hitman,

I think the problem is with the hunter's mentality. Why is it less of a trophy to shoot a doe for your first deer? They sure don't taste any worse.

Someone here brought up Europe and trophy management. In Europe, its just as much of a trophy to take an animal with inferior genetics as part of managing the herd. In fact, they even mount some of their management animals.

6. MALLARD MAGICIAN

I agree with chcltlabz, if doe need to be thinned out for the health of the herd, then why should it be any less of a thrill for a child or 30 yr old guy to shot a doe for their first deer vs. a spike? There is NO differences, you can't eat the horns, it is just a stigma placed on shooting doe by the culture of deer hunters. If the child or first time hunter wants to kill a buck, they can do as everyone else and wait on a "legal" buck, which is not the samething as a "trophy" buck.

7. B Farms

B Farms New Member

When I first started hunting the group I went with shot at only antlers and it did not matter what the size. They would not shoot a doe. It was very frustrating and I have since switched hunting groups. For whatever reason whether it be the reasoning the small bucks were not allowed to grow into large ones or had they been patient the larger buck was in the back of the group we only shot one trophy in a ten year period and the doe population rocketed.

The new group I switched to is the exact opposite, the guy that shoots the small buck gets a lot of "mud" flipped in their direction.

Not enough people have the patienceto properly manage a deer herd. The majority of people want the trophy hunt and do not take the required amount of does. I think the AR is a great idea. If only IA would impliment the same regulations.

8. ARMallardSlayer

ARMallardSlayer Elite Refuge Member

In AR, our restrictions are 3 on one side to be legal........some counties are 4 on one side.

Doesn't matter if you old, a kid, or nothing, you follow the restrictions..

Spikes are allowed to run wild...........

At least let the kids shoot em.

They are considering changing our restrictions for next year but who knows they could get worse.

9. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member