Any good recipes for suckers/fish

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BirdJ, Jun 22, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

My girlfriend caught a couple of suckers (about 2lbs) the other day cat fishing and was wondering if they were any good to eat and told I didn't know but heard they were! I filleted them the same way as I do the rest of my fish. Want to do these without smoking them.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Use them for catfish bait !:yes:l:l:l:yes

tcc likes this.
  3. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya but come on man! Seriously I would think that at least down south some one would have some?

4. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

We don't eat that trash fish. Why? Crappie, Bass, Cat, Shell Cracker, Specked trout, Redfish. That is bait.

tcc likes this.
  5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I've never had it but I know a lot of people around here pickle suckers.

6. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

My grandpa used to smoke carp all the time. Wish I would have gotten his recipe.

BirdJ likes this.
  7. Quackshooter

Quackshooter Refuge Member

Season filets to taste. Place filets on a cedar plank and wrap filets in foil and bake in a 300 degree oven for 2hrs. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 min. Open foil and throw the sucker filets away and eat the cedar plank!

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I grew up in Ohio next to a large lake. Early in the spring just after ice out, Suckers would run up the creeks to spawn. We would use fish gigs to catch them. My Gypsy Grandmother would run them through a hand crank meat grinder bones and all, make patties with seasoning and fry them. They were good. It was the only time of year they tasted good.
    There were two kinds of suckers, Black and White (not sure of their real names). As I recall the Black ones were the best.

BirdJ likes this.
  9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Some fish you just throw back......:tu

10. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Haven't eaten them in years but we use to smoke them. Soaked them in a pickle salt brine. Rinsed well then rubbed with brown sugar and smoked. Actually they can be really good this way.

I've had canned sucker which I wasn't a fan of. Could have been the person canning them. Tasted like they were canned in muddy water.

Fish patties is another option.

When the kids were younger we would take them out to bow fish and spear them in the spring. I'll ask the wife if she remembers the exact recipe.