Any good success stories on the California opener?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Semper Fiduckis, Mar 25, 2017.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

He wasn't sprinting. He was walking towards a gobble. He blew our opportunity and had no clue.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, he was doing that last I saw him as well, but running! No worries though... He saw me when he went to sit down 3 yards behind me! Then, off he went again! This was last year. That place now has a gate up, with the closest entrance begin about a mile down the road with a river between them.

JuvieCoot likes this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Birds were active last weekend... I hunted the opener in the afternoon, and drummed up some gobbles (the closest bird was obviously a jake judging by the gobble he made). I generally cannot tell a jake by the gobble, but with this particular bird, it was fairly apparent.

Second day, I hunted a different area, and there was a ton of gobbling... Had play with several groups of jakes (no toms)... This is on a property that I have not seen a jake on in 3 years of hunting (very poor hatches). The last group sounded like a lone bird, and I covered some ground to set up on him and get ahead of him... Turned out to be another group of jakes, and one went home with me... They came into "almost range" and kept going... I did some fighting-purrs, and they came rushing back in... Only time that technique has ever worked for me.

In the last several years of hunting, I have only seen one jake, and last year, very few mature toms (although for some reason there seemed to be plenty of hens). Seeing a tom with groups of 12-15 hens last season, I came in this season knowing that this was going to be a tough year for me to kill a mature bird this season.

4. JuvieCoot

Fingers crossed
    IMG_1251.JPG

5. JuvieCoot

Wow. Got jaked

6. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

7. JuvieCoot

No longbeards in it Saturday morning. 4 jakes and the rest hens. Thursday night when the pic was taken there were longbeards in it

8. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

That's a lot of eyeballs.

9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

FullSizeRender.jpg

Bird #1 is down for the 2017 CA Turkey season. He'd been with hens and was not interested in any setups that I'd thrown his way. I decided to try the DSD Strutter this morning. He pitched out of the tree and seemed like he wasn't interested until he caught a glimpse of the decoy and came strutting in. Magnus bullhead at 7 yards did the job. 19.2lbs, 3/4" spurs, 9 and 5/16" beard.

JuvieCoot and Semper Fiduckis like this.