Any night hunters?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Just started coyote hunting last year and am wanting to try some night-time hunting this year. It's just me or me and my son, no truck lights etc....just regular set up. I bought a red scanning headlamp and a red shooting light that mounts to the gun/scope. I'd like to know what would be a good scope to use for night time. I have a 3-9x40 vortex on my .223 I'm using during daylight hours but don't know if this would work well in the dark. Was wondering if a 50mm lens would be better. Vortex has a 3-9x50 with a "v-brite" reticle using a small illuminated dot in the center that looks nice, but I would like some input. Not going to spend $1000 on a scope by the way........
    Thanks,

2. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Elite Refuge Member

My son and his buddy do very well on coyotes at night. Specifically during a full moon with snow on the ground, which allows them to see quite well. And generally about 2 AM. They do not have "special" scopes. They say the coyotes lose of lot of there fear at night. Me? I prefer bed.

3. BIG SHEEZY

BIG SHEEZY Refuge Member

I do quite a bit of fox hunting at night and I would not get the illuminated reticle because you lose some of your night vision. For me personally for a night gun get the best light you can afford. Right now I run a cheap bushnell banner 4-16x40mm and my light is a gen 1 coyote light I can keep my scope on 16 power at night, the light is worth every penny. Their is no better light out there and that set up total is only $560 combined. Iwill be upgrading to a leupold vx-2 this summer they have really nice glass for the price.

4. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

with a lighted center dot.. I have shot a lot of foxes with this gun/scope combo. Very sharp dot, but low intensity. Does not obscure any incoming light. Line it up on incoming eyes, and it looks like 3 in a row. I have this on top of a Rem. 788, 22-250.
    Also, I have used a Williams sight lighter. It was a light that shined in from the back of the scope. the light would reflect off of the metal crosshairs. They would shine a gold color. Very visible. I think those were under $10.00.

5. NeLab1

NeLab1 Moderator Moderator

I prefer a 3.5x10x 50 for any night hunting that we do, with any moon light you should be able to see throw some snow in and its like day light.

I have used the night force scope lights with great success on darker nights.

6. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Hunt a lot at night, good scopes for low light are the swarovski range, the coatings on their optics are superb you will get a few more mins anytime and will see better in moonlight etc.
    As for hunting with a light, i like the lightforce sl140 striker they are not as bright as the blitz 240 but a lot more compact and practical to use on a rifle, actually the swarovskis and s and b and zeiss scopes have quite a lot of undesirable glare when using a light often a lesser scope preferably with a yellowish lens coating is what i prefer using. I use a bushnell eliete 4-16x50 with the light and on an other rifle a old type redfield illuminator 3-12x56 for lamp work.

7. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

Here in New Jersey hunting at night only a shotgun can be used. What light would work well for 75 yards or so? This is my first year hunting yotes, I use a .223 for daytime. I have had no success so far. I know they're here as I had one run past me at 10' while hunting pheasant. They were also seen during deer season.

8. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

There is an increasing number of suppliers for predator lights now. I searched a bunch of them and some I listed below. There are many ways of measuring the lights ie. lumens, candelas, candle power, etc.... and it all gets kind of confusing. If you can get away with just a headlamp, I'd suggest looking at Elusive Wildlife (kill light), Night Eyes, Noxx lights, and EW Calls carnivore. If you want a gun mounted light, all the above have them, plus Xtreme predator products, Night Snipe, Varmint lights, Stalk Tech....... Like I said there are a bunch.

I got my gun-mounted light from Xtreme predators. $99 for the "250" kit which includes the mount, charger, batteries, switch and the light. I got my headlamp from Elusive Wildife for $79. Both these lights are good out to 250 yds + The headlamp has 3 levels and a zoom feature which would work well at only 75 yds. Seems the numbering system many use on their lights corresponds with the yardage, ie "100" lights are good to 100 yds, 250 = 250 yds, 300 etc.... Good luck.

www.elusivewildlife.com
    www.nighteyeslights.com
    www.predatorhunteroutdoors.com
    www.xtremepredatorproducts.com
    www.allpredatorcalls.com
    www.ewcalls.com
    www.noxxflashlights.com
    www.varmintlights.com

9. 2dogs1949

Brad,

Thank you very much for your research. I did some also and found lights up in the ain't gonna happen catagory. I will be using my Browning pump so a light to attach to the underside of the barrel with a remote switch should work fine. Most of the locals I have talked to say it is extremely hard to kill a yote around here. They don't respond well to calling as food is abundant. They are only a few hundred yards from housing and all the cats and dogs they want. I will keep trying though. You never know. I have until March 15th.

Ken

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  10. 2dogs1949

I ordered the 250 from Xtreme Predators and a red dot w/ laser from Cabelas.
    Your red headlamp, do you leave that on all the time to search for predators or just turn it on when you think you see or hear something?