Any night hunters?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

run all of the time. When I see eyes, I do not shine the main beam on them til I am ready to shoot. Foxes don't seem to mind. Coyotes sense something is up the minute the light is on them, regardless of the color of the lens. Often, less powerful lights seemed to work better for the coyotes. Just my .02 worth from 35 years of doing this.

2. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Matt. This is my first year and I'm at the bottom of the learning curve.
    Ice storm cancelled this mornings hunt.

3. TL Decoy

TL Decoy Senior Refuge Member

pretty sure the laser sight is illegal in NJ

says in the regs the sight can not omit a beam or laser light onto the target

just a FYI, I know the man loves to write tickets

4. 2dogs1949

You are correct and I appreciate the heads up!!! I wanted the red dot with the laser for home. I can remove the battery from the laser plus with 4 screws I can remove the laser. I knew this too and the bulb never went on.
    There are more rules in this state. Can use #4 buck during the day but nothing bigger than T shot st night.

I just called the CO. He said take the battery out and you are good to go. Of course he won't be the one that checks me.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. TL Decoy

I called them up last month also, I looked up the regs again yesterday and I was wrong with the terminology I used
    under specifically prohibited on page 27 it says it is illegal to use a sight that projects a spot or light onto the game animal
    but it is legal to use a light when hunting at night for fox and coyote

my question to the co was if I have a gun mounted light and it shines over my gun barrel sight is it legal. because it is a sight that projects a light onto the game animal. she gave me a grey answer and would not give me a direct yes or no. so if a light is legal, is there any rule or reg as too how big of a beam the light gives off. is 3 ft a spot or 1 ft a spot. is a flood mandatory ect

also asked her if an IR light was legal on the gun and she didn't know what that was , I wanted to mount a IR light onto the gun and use my pv 14 to guide on target, even though it is not a sight with a direct light. then she started to get aggravated with me asking questions. so I left it there in the grey area and when checked will have to prove it in court as usual in NJ

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. 2dogs1949

Yes you have ventured into a grey area, as they would see it. The fact that your light illuminates the site on your shotgun should not be an issue. The site is not projecting the light. My light hangs under the barrel simply because that is the only place I can put it. I'm going with what I have now with the battery out of the laser. We can resolve it in court.
    I also asked why you can't use #4 buck at night but you can during the day. He said because it travels further than T. Can't get my head around that one. Then he recommended Dead Coyote T shot. I said they are $6 a shell. He said buy a box of 10 and in 5 years you'll still have 9 of them. This was after he told me how hard it is to kill a yote in NJ. Going to try again tomorrow.

7. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Dang, I thought living in Illinois was bad......

8. TL Decoy

I've never been to Illinois, but in NJ they seem to write the law book with a large grey area on most subjects. open to interpretation from the co when they arrive at the scene. they never tell you in black and white what is legal to do and what is not.
    I have asked numerous times to have them clarify something in the rule book. they will not do it. the only way to change the wording for sure is to sue them
    or have a case brought to court and the judge will make them change it. if you prove yourself innocent. even if you can get a co to write something and sign it on paper, another co will view this as garbage and write you anyway. with a battery out of a laser, you are still in some eyes showing intent to break the law
    and would have to prove it in court.

9. TL Decoy

brad, sorry to de rail your post, you can see crosshairs just fine thru a scope that has a light next to it.
    your vortex should be fine for that. I have a vortex I tried out last night on my crossbow, you can see the crosshairs just fine with a light next to it pointing down range.so maybe just one of those pressure switch kill lights mounted on the scope with a side x side ring setup . should work fine

10. 2dogs1949

TL, I agree with you 100%. I'm going forward with my plan and if I end up in court so be it. In my 30 years hunting NJ I have been stopped by a CO 3 times. I'm going to roll the dice.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015