Any night hunters?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Brad's Birds, Jan 4, 2015.

1. TL Decoy

TL Decoy Senior Refuge Member

that is amazing, they follow me around like I robbed a bank. and mugged the governor
    I have had them draw guns on me 3 times in NJ. and it was just a "precaution"
    according to them.

I can tell you I have been checked more times than that in a single day, by four different wardens, federal and state, duck hunting on barnegat bay

you my friend are flying under the radar, good for you and good luck with the coyotes, I am going out again tonight, I'll call you if I need bail :l:l:l

2. 2dogs1949

2dogs1949 Senior Refuge Member

I have been drawn on once when I was hunting ducks on a remote lake on a WMA. He thought I was jacking deer until I showed him the steel shot and the decoys in the lake. Said he had never seen anyone duck hunt back there.
    I'll be home, just give me a call. I'm going in the morning. Have you had any luck in NJ with yotes?

3. 2dogs1949

SO how has the season been so far? I have been out about 6 times and have yet to have anything respond to my call. Did have a fox walk in my tracks while I was hunting. He went the other direction. Cant make it tomorrow.

4. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This being my first year, I too have struggled with getting responses. I seem to get responses right at dark by "arguing" with them using challenge calls. I had one go back and forth with me for 20 minutes but never showed, less than 100 yards away. Once we got this snow however, it's been a lot better. I was using a turkey call to change things up and had one running along the woodline about 400 yds away. Then he started "mousing" in the snow which was cool to watch. I turned on the rabbit call and he came running toward me and stopped about 160 yds looking straight at me and I simply missed with the shot. Guess I was surprised that one actually "came in". Would have been my first kill. Anyway, a friend and I went out 3 days ago to one of his properties. It was 10 degrees and we have about 8" of snow right now. Turned the rabbit distress call on and within 5 minutes one came and stood broadside about 200 yards out. I flipped off the safety, pulled the trigger and "click"........bullet didn't fire (of course). Told my buddy to shoot him and he did. I was mad but happy being my first outing with a kill. 30 lb male. We went last night and saw one running across the field near some cattle where we were set up but unable to shoot. So, the snow has been good for something at least. Hopefully I'll connect before the snow leaves, but honestly, I enjoy hearing them and of course seeing them, plus experiencing all the "mistakes" and challenges is part of the fun I guess.

[​IMG]

5. 2dogs1949

WTG Brad!! Good luck with the rest of your season.