Any of yall bow hunt?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Mallard, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Mallard

Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Hey
    I was wandering if any of you bow hunt or have bow hunted for turkeys. I have been practicing alot with my recurve and was wandering if any of you could give me any advice on how to get close enough?
    Thankyou

2. Tuffy

Tuffy Senior Refuge Member

I think I have noticed a couple of them on here. I took it out of the case and in the woods ONE time. Called up a NICE bird. Never raised it to shoot, just tightened my grip on it. Put it back in the case. A man has to know his limitations.

3. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

Hi Mallard,
    Yes, I bowhunt turkeys, and have for 5 seasons, now. After this experience, i'm thouroughly convinced that turkeys were made to be killed with a shotgun!! hehehe
    Seriously, you almost have to have a good blind. They just have to darn good of eyesight to allow you to get drawn. I know that it can be done without a blind. I've shot one without, myself. But if you really want to harvest a bird, buy yourself a blind, (I highly suggest the I.C.E. blind by Double Bull Archery), scout until you have found the flydown and/or strut area, and wait it out. It's boring for those who have "run-n-gun" all previous years, but it's highly effective. It seems like those turkeys just stare right through the blind, like they don't even see it!
    Give it a go!

------------------
    Don't get any on ya!
    Scout

4. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I have decided to try it this season, it seems like a huge challenege, drawing on a tom at a close range, just getting off the shot is half the battle. If you pick your opportunities, you can get a shot off no problem, at least that is what I have heard!