Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

any pics of cows in action???

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by gaddy getter, Feb 11, 2004.

1. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

JD____Did you guys get some shots at them, in those pics? Dave!

2. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

Who around here has one woody? You have one? I need to make one and need to get some ideas.

3. CrahNX

CrahNX Elite Refuge Member

Caller, if we end up doing the woodduck thing, my buddy has a plywood cutout sitting in front of their dairy farm, that I could prolly bring over to use as a stecil. Use that, hinge it in the middle and your set. Only problem is I dont think they have a hole lot of holsteins out that way. Maybe a whitfaced angus or herford would be a better idea.

4. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

GC_CRASH We are going to make one in the coming weeks, I think the best way would be get a projector and cast a shaddow of a cut out of a cow from a childrens book....sounds like work but it would be very REALISTIC, 2 handles, 2 holes, 2 gun racks, 2 short posts to set it on,and a hinge.........Woody!

5. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

OK, who has a projector??? I am game for getting together a couple of nights, got tools will travel. We could probably make it really easy, trace one and cut 3-4 at the same time. What are guys making them out of? I was thinking 1/4 lewon(spelling??) plywood, stuff is like $10/sheet and is super light.

6. J.D. West

J.D. West Senior Refuge Member

Thats not me in the pic, ive never used a cow decoy. I got those pics from a story the Neb. Game and Parks wrote. In the story though it says those guys dropped like 30 birds on that sneak.

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Senior Refuge Member

You don't even have to be very accurate with it looking like a cow. The ones we use look more like mushrooms and they work just fine. You just have to watch the geese and take your time. The hinge is nice if you don't have a large pickup to transport it. Make it out of the lightest plywood you can get. Even that will get heavy after a while and if you have 3 + people, you can switch out to give each other a break.

When watching the geese, look for groups with a bunch of heads up looking at you. When you see this, stop and stay still until all the heads have gone down and they are relaxed again. The closer you get to the flock the slower you will have to move. The best one my dad and I did last year took over 2 hours to get to the geese. They were in a 2 mile section and we walked almost a mile to get to them as they got scared off by a low flying airplane and then a helicopter. The last 60-75 yards was on our knees, moving the decoy out to arms length, setting it down and then moving up to it. We had geese coming in over the top of us the whole time adding to the flock and they were not at all bothered by us. By the time we decided to shoot, we were within 35 yards on my side and 30 yards on my dads side. One shot on the ground, four shots in the air (per person) and we dropped exactly 40 geese. Took quite a while to get them all.

A note on the ethics of this. The COLGS is not a hunting season, it is a conservation order in which they want us to KILL as MANY of these things as we can. They don't want them to go to waste, but they do want them dead. This thing is to reduce the population. Some will say, what about all the cripples that did not fall and flew off to die somewhere else. A coyote or fox or the maggots will have a nice meal out of it. It really does not go to waste, it gets recycled by the earth.

Stepping off my soap box now.

8. Mossyhorns

Mossyhorns Senior Refuge Member

Hey, there's a big fiberglass cow on a trailer sitting in front of the Sirloin Stockade here. I think it's big enough to get a half dozen fellows in -- rig it like a pit with lid that flops back. Now if I could just figure out how to mount it on an electric golf cart. The Trojan Cow!

Better yet, how about rigging up a little 4 wheel drive truck with a cow body on it -- kinda like the wiener-mobile that Oscar Meyer drives around. Just drive from field to field. The possibilities are endless!:D

9. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Hell...I think if cowboardin',sneakin',and roost swattin' is legal...then I oughta be able to use my .17 HMR.At least with it,there'd be no cripples and with the 6x24x42mm optics,there'd be no "off" species killed.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P

10. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

I would add a caller with a cow moo on it for added realism.