Any Post Production Critique.....

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Feet_Down, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Feet_Down

Feet_Down Refuge Member

www.mudflatcreative.com --BANDS.jpg
    Any suggestions on editing tips... the light was crappy for this but i am really trying to learn about cropping, up-sampling and resizing without loosing quality.

BirdJ and Irishwhistler like this.
  2. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

Overall a nice photo with good image quality. I'll give ye my approach as to what I may have done in taking this shot. I would likely have tried to wait until three vs. four geese were grouped together (do a Google search on "Rules of 3" specific to composition and your overall balance within a composition will improve. In cropping this piece I would move the left margin into the right, shorten up the foreground (that would make the band on the lead bird's foot pop a bit more), and I would drop the top margin to eliminate that dark diagonal field edge which really distracts the viewers eyes away from the main subject (the geese). You have a really nice bokeh effect with the deep field of view. Also bringing your watermark / signature up with a shortening of the foreground, and putting it in a more highly contrasted color against a differing background color would more readily identify you as the artist. JMHO.

Nice work, keep shooting.:tu

Mikey

3. Feet_Down

Feet_Down Refuge Member

Thanks so much for the advice.... Its exactly the type of feed back I was looking for. What I may do is go back and make the edits with your suggestions and re-post it to this thread so that we can see the difference. Thanks again for the help.

4. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

Glad to help. I would really love to see your next edit of this photo as a comparative. I am predicting ye will be most pleased with the change up.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. DEADEYE DICK

DEADEYE DICK Senior Refuge Member

My.02 worth

First of all you got down to eye level of your subject,atta boy!!!

I will let you learn by my mistakes.
    Shoot your subjects wider,you can crop later on the computer,I have cut off many feet,wingtips,antlers,etc. by thinking I had to zoom in with the camera to get a good pic.
    Also shooting wider will allow you to move your subjects around when you crop them on the computer,in this case I would have had their butts at the edge of the pic and more room out front to make it look like they are walking somewhere,instead of walking into the wall like the band in the movie Animal House.
    I also think that picture is a little bit crooked,leaning down and backwards.The geese look like they are walking up hill a little bit.Also leveling the picture would probably get rid of the little brown wedge in the top left hand corner.

You will have to play with your contrast,brightness etc, until you get the hang of it.
    Like I said,most everything I just told you was from me making mistakes and learning from them,and I always said when I started using the DSLR the more I learned the dumber I got trying to remember everything I learned.

Also,whistle or yell at your subjects to make them lift their heads up :tu

6. DEADEYE DICK

DEADEYE DICK Senior Refuge Member

glacier doe and fawn 3 clo level.jpg

Instead of mom and Bambi looking around else where,a whistle helped me out in this pic.

7. Jim Hobson

Jim Hobson New Member