Any reviews on Kent shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Pastor, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

On a medium or large duck you need about 1/2 inch of penetration to kill with head and neck hits. By the info I found #7's have .9 inches of penetration at 30 yards and steel 6's have 1.0 inches of penetration at 30.5 yards at 1400 fps. Thank you for helping me proving our point. :tu

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

No! Steel 6s are way better than you imagine.

IMG_1231.JPG

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Winchester.

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Not possible. You are not being a sportsman. How dare you work birds in close, and kill them with pellets that can't penetrate.
    :tu

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

:l :l :l

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Centering the bird in your pattern is number one with any shell , except to small of shot that won't penetrate its vidals !
    Certainly the distance you try to shoot has a effect on penetration along with pattern density but pattern density means nothing if the shot size
    isn't adequate for the bird size . With my reloads , there is a advantage with steel shot when the velocity is up around 1450 fps . As I like #3 shot
    in a 1 oz load it does have both the pattern density , penetration and the velocity to make my shots confident past 40 yds !

Cold Fold likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Do you not understand that the head and neck are vitals? For us non skybusters that that don't take 40+ yard shots small shot works and is quite deadly. The proof is in the charts you quote.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You are certainly right , the head and Neck are vital areas ! I just don't care to have 350 small pellets in the meat of the birds , I intend to eat !
    The #3 size shot I shoot will hit the head and neck area too PLUS they will drive (in most cases) all the way through a bird , which makes for fine eating !
    I suppose you small shot shooters are using a tighter choke than Modified too......?

10. Billy Bob

That is a much better argument against 6's than anything else you have posted. With a little practice and good shot selection you don't get many pellets in the meat. In the end it is all about picking your shots. Why don't we just agree to disagree and let this go for good? Both of our ways work for us. You shoot your way and I will shoot mine.