Any reviews on Kent shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Pastor, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well , that's what my thinking is too ! You fellas must be really good shots (at close range) to not have many holes in your birds but I'm still wondering
    about the choke constriction you choose to use , with these 6's ? I also shoot a lot of clay targets ( both Trap and Sporting ) and I have shot Steel 6's
    through different constrictions just to see what the pattern performance would be at different yardages , on the patterning board . It would be interesting
    to see how you're capable of not having to many holes in your birds , at what distance ?
    Oh and I Have also shot the heads off of Mallards inside of 20 yds .

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I just use a mobile choke modified and all shots are under 30 yards. You swing a tiny bit faster so your shot is a bit more in front of the bird. 90% of my misses are in front of the bird. Another reason I like using 6's is for the challenge of it and knowing I CAN NOT shoot past 30 yards. It makes me work the birds closer which is a challenge as well. It's like taking a small step up from duck hunting with a recurve bow that was the most difficult challenge I have ever attempted.

3. Ravenanme

I see your point , at inside 30 yds with a Mod choke shooting just shy of 300 pellets out of a 20 ga , the patterns I've seen are around 20" in diameter .
    That's a fairly dense pattern but it still leaves room for some body hits , considering you're working with a 10" margin of error ? That's darn good shooting
    with just pointing a gun without sights ?

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I'm shooting a 12 gauge. Those 315 pellets are like a swarm of hornets and a lot of times I get up to 12 head/neck hits with the average being 7-8. It's not as hard as you would imagine. The birds are slow moving because the first shot is 3 feet off of the water at a backwinging bird. If I set up correctly I have 3 shots with the head/neck exposed. A crosswind with the birds quartering in towards me then the second shot is a nearly still bird trying to change directions and the third shot is at a rising bird with its head exposed. It's not really good shooting, it's good tactics that provide easy shots. I get a few pellets in the body sometimes but not many, maybe 1 or 2 out of a 7 bird limit. The shots I take could almost be made with a .22lr if I was body shooting them.

5. bluebill77

bluebill77 Senior Refuge Member

Pastor- Open up your choke a little and decrease your shot size. I like the Kents, have been shooting them for a few years now and very happy with the results through my Benelli M1. I will kick the hornet's nest by adding that I don't worry about having a shell that's super-fast either!

bb77

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Kent 11/8 oz of 2's and 3's have cleanly killed a lot of ducks and Specks for me out of modified chokes. I get good shot pass through. In angles I like, I feel confident on 40 to 45 yard shots. I take a lot of forty yard shots.
    I have seen friends shoot #4's that performed better than I thought. Personally I would not shoot smaller than 4's for large ducks - too many pellet hits at short range, energy and wind resistance reduction at longer ranges.

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

On those days when birds are around, we take the single shot 410 to blind and limit shots to 20 yards with steel 6s in 1/2oz of shot and we back the shooter up. We usually take turns shooting the 410, but we average around 7 ducks for 10 shots. So Steel 6s will work.

8. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

On my lunch break today I Patterned Kent 3" #3s fasteel at 30 and 40 yards. My 870 with a choke that has "over decoys" printed on it preformed beautifully at 30 and 40 yards. I can be more than confident out to 40 yards with it. About the "over decoys" choke, is that the same as an IC?

My Baikal auto loader preformed equally as good with the IC. There really was no difference between to two guns and their respective chokes with the 3" #3s.

I like that both guns are liking the same shells so I don't have to worry about having the right shells for the gun I want to use.

California Flyway likes this.
  9. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

I have had excellent results with the Kent 3" 1560 FPS 1 1/8 oz. loads. Hard hitting and cycle well in my semi automatic.

Seaark18 likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Most of us know the better steel loads manufactured today will kill Ducks , the better ones that have been proofed on the patterning board to deliver
    the best patterns ( with your chosen gun/choke/ load ) are the top rated ones ! One thing for sure , the patterning board doesn't lie !