Any sausage makers?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by gdluck, Jan 5, 2017.

1. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

Do you just buy the powdered buttermilk from the local grocery? Is there a certain type to buy?

2. duckblind

I have been making summer sausage and snack sticks for a few years now and this is by far best way to eat all our geese. I buy all my seasonings from PS Seasoning. I mix 50/50 goose and pork butt. I smoke everything. As Ken mentioned keep your temps low. I try to stay below 180. I also mix regular cheese it. If you keep your temps down this low they cheese will not melt. If I see the pork butts on sale throughout the year I also grab a couple and freeze them. I am planning to make some this weekend. I wanted to try get the "tang" flavor so I purchased some encapsulated citric acid. I have not tried it out yet but plan to on 12 lbs of hot sticks.

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I used encapsulated citric acid once and thought it was to tangy. For me Powdered Buttermilk from the grocery store works the best. 1 cup per 5 lbs of meat. Then in the fridge for 2 days to ferment before smoking and cooking.

duckblind likes this.
  4. duckblind

Thanks for the tip

I want to use the eca since I have already purchased it. However, I do want to try the powdered buttermilk, especially in my summer sausage. They recommend 3oz of eca per 25lbs of meat. Is this how much you used?

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

I really don't remember. I think I followed the directions from somewhere. Go to the grocery store and buy a small piece of summer sausage. Look at the ingredients. Taste the ones that use citric acid and taste some that use lactic acid or Fermento. Which is the same as buttermilk.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    duckblind likes this.
  6. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

If I remember fat turns to liquid at about 165 degree. I usually smoke for a couple hours at 140 to 150 & then finish in a turkey roaster filled with water at 165. When internal temps reach 150 to 155 I pull & give them a cold water bath. End up with a more consistent product. Thru the last 10+ years, I have tried many things. Right now, I have Salami, Italian, Andoullie, pepper snack sticks & texmex jerkey in the freezer. Shortly after season, I grind about 100 lb of fowl & package in 2 lb bags. In addition, I will buy pork trimmings, grind & package. This way, when I decide to make sausages, I just mix, stuff, & smoke.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

8. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks New Member

Just made 20 lbs of goose trail bologna using Con Yagers kits 60/40. They are the best I've found for my taste. I do miss the tangy taste of summer sausage so I might try some of your buttermilk advice. Con Yagers Hillbilly jerky kits are great too their Teriyaki is horrible! I used to mix my own spices but I like those alot

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I make mostly hot guts, brats, or boudin. I use non fat dry milk power in the brats for binder, flavor , and color. For the boudin, I use duck breast instead of liver, and add a little bit of heavy cream as a binder.

I'll probably make some deer snack sticks this year, too.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

For summer sausage do you guys make it with your own spice mixes that do not have any nitrate/nitrate cure if you take the internal temp to 155 in the smoker, then freeze and thaw pieces as needed, serve then keep in fridge?

My wife is sensitive to nitrates/nitrates.

Thanks