Any Turkey Hunters

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Pickle, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Pickle

Pickle Elite Refuge Member

Are there any Turkey Hunters in the youth gang, I love chasin those sneaky birds, been doin it for about four years now. two years seriously. If any of yall has ever killed a turkey let me hear the story, as for me I am still tryin to get one, its hard huntin around home, aint it Knee. Mostly due to the population of hunters hahahah.

Pickle

------------------
    "But to those whose hearts are stirred by the sound of whistling wings and quacking mallards, wildlife is....not merely an acquired taste.
    Aldo Leopold

come visit Pickle's Page www.geocities.com/tnwaterfowler/index.html

2. CaliDuckBuster

CaliDuckBuster Senior Refuge Member

Yeah i ahave been turkey hunting for four years now and my father and i have bagged 9 turkeys since we started.

------------------
    Great Hunting!!!
    Cali-Wildlife area maps available.

3. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

I don't know that I'd really call myself a turkey hunter. I really don't have much of a clue how it's supposed to be done [​IMG] but I have hunted turkeys last Fall and the Spring before. I killed a decent tom in the Spring and a jake last fall. We have mostly merriam turkeys in Wyoming, but we also have a few Rio Grandes. I've only hunted the merriams. Turkey hunting's not really popular in this state, but there are lots of turkeys in areas, so the hunting wasn't too hard.

As for the stories, this Spring we went up into the Black Hills and found a little public strip of forest to hunt. I was just walking around and stumbled into a flock of turkeys and thumped a tom with my 12 gauge. Wasn't too tough. We were driving to a spot the first afternoon and saw two toms right off the side of the road. So my dad and a friend of ours got out and thumped 'em both.

This fall we hunted the Black Hills again, and you can kill a tom or hen in the fall. So again I was just walking around and a turkey flew out of the tree right above me so I shot it on the wing and it turned out to be a jake.

4. Canarda

Canarda Guest

Okay, this may seem like an incredibly stupid question, but do Turkeys actually "roam free" in the wild? I alway thought they were more domesticated birds...

------------------
    School sucks...

marcy_marc7@hotmail.com

5. corinthduckslayer

corinthduckslayer Senior Refuge Member

I love turkey hunting! been hunting for a bout 3 years killed 1 gobbler. He stayed out about 60 yds and gobbled strutted and spit and drum for almost an hour.Finally he moved to our right and wsaw the decoy and came charging in,was about to break into full strut a 15 yds and saw me shaking, PUTT,PUTT! He took of got about 20 yds and rolled him. 11 in beard and 1 spur 5?8in(other was broke off some how)

-------------------
    Be rewarded by PATIENCE

6. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Canarda, this comes from the National Wild Turkey Federation homepage:
    "Today, thanks to our nation's hunters, game agencies and wildlife conservation organizations such as the National Wild Turkey Federation, there are more than 4.5 million wild turkeys roaming the continent in huntable populations in every state of the U.S. except Alaska and are even hunted in Ontario, Canada, and Mexico. Today, turkey hunting is one of the largest types of hunting in the U.S. with close to 2.5 million sportsman considering themselves turkey hunters."
    There are six different subspecies of wild turkey, found in different areas of the continent. There's the Eastern, Florida, Merriam's, Rio Grande, Gould's, and Ocellated.

7. Canaduck

Canaduck Elite Refuge Member

Nearest turkey to me(and to you Canarda) would be Alberta! They have a small but growing population that people have just begun to hunt.

------------------
    Take'em!!!

Canaduck
    schweitz@sk.sympatico.ca

8. Knee_Booter

Knee_Booter Moderator Sponsor Moderator

well we have lots of wild birds here in tennessee and i try to get one every year but never have any luck except this one time i was out walking in the woods and took a nap under a oak tree and when i woke up i had 4 hens and 2 big ol' toms feeding right in front of me, so i jumped up hopped on the biggest toms back and well the rest is history ... he now lives on my wall. wow, that was a good day ...

------------------
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Knee_Booter

9. Ulti-Mag

Ulti-Mag Guest

I live for Turkey hunting. Theres nothing like getting up on a ridge before sunrise and owling and a big tom gobbling his head off at ya. Its the most exciting and hardest bird i've ever hunted. I've turkey hunted since i was about 7 or 8 but didnt get into it real serious till i was about 12. I've killed 4 birds in my life and i've had to work for everyone of them. Talking about this gets me ready for the warm spring weather and hearing those birds gobblin.