Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Anybody doing any scouting for bow season?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by David @ The Refuge, Jul 28, 2001.

1. David @ The Refuge

David @ The Refuge Founder Moderator

I have been checking out a nice spot and seeing quite a few deer, plenty of trails, and lots of droppings.

It's only 56 days until Bow Season for deer, can't wait!!

David

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

We have been scouting, sort of, since spring.
    While it is limited to primarily just around the section, it is a summer pasttime which tells us how many bucks are likely to be around come fall.

Around here, I usually lie and say that I'm scouting for geese :D ;) :D

3. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

Not hitting it hard yet, but doing a little driving with a spotting scope at dark. To tell ya the truth, I've seen more deer between 11AM and 2PM, than I have at dusk. Go figure!?! I don't know if it's the heat, or the flies, but they are in the bean fields at high noon, lately.
    Did see one nice 10 point, Tuesday, I think it was. He appeared to be in the 150 class, but with the velvet, it's hard to tell. :rolleyes:

4. lwingwatcher

150's--you have to be feeling good.

I'm still tryin to figure out if last years 130's 8 point survived the winter. Haven't seen anything yet that looks better than a 1 1/2 year old come fall (6-8pt 12"). Lots of time left though and lots of area that I can't see with the spotting scope due to all the corn. Not any beans in the area I scout, this year just corn, beets,and oats.

5. Cowboy

Cowboy Elite Refuge Member

I had the opportunity to go out with a fellow Utah Refuge Gang member 2 weeks ago to show him some country ( he's a transplant from Texas )

We seen a few elk ( 5 bulls together) What got me fired up was there was a hugeeee bull there, he is easy a 340 bull right now

That big boy still has some more growth to put on before our hunt that starts late august :)

6. TnGreenhead

TnGreenhead Senior Refuge Member

I get to scout and work on my duck blind at the same time on holston river in hawkins co.My tree stand is hung 40 yds behind the blind hope it is as good this years as last.

7. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler Moderator

Most Northeastern part of Southeast Central Kentuc
    I spent part of this last week scouting and looking at new places to place some stands. I have two up on my farm from last year but have decided to move one. I talked to a man about hunting his land and got the permission to do so. I have not been down to my wifes Uncles place to scout it out yet but will soon(prime BIG Whitetail counrty!)

Good Luck ya'll!

8. lwingwatcher

kywaterfowler:

Big whitetails in the rut can be dangerous critters. Should you locate an abundance of these creatures (140's+) I strongly urge you to call me to back you up. It is for your own protection :D :D :D

9. mallardSX2

mallardSX2 Elite Refuge Member

I put most of my treestand up in late aug and early september. I normally have good crossings in the same spots yer after year but I have my climber just in case........