Anybody dry or jerky your game meat?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Bear, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

We had a guy at work take our venison and smoke it and also made jerky which was incredible. It wasn't that thin shoe leather strip stuff in the packages at the check-out counter of the grocery store but really flavorful chunks of meat.

If you do it...how do you do it?

Thanks.

Bear

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Grind it like coarse burger (I like ground meat jerky lots better than just hunks or strips).
    Blend in your seasonings, then run it through a Jerky Blaster and finish it in the smoker.
    We just recently made the best jerky I've ever had.
    it was a blend of duck, goose, deer, elk and buffalo.

3. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Slice it as thin as I can do by hand, marinate for close to a week in a top secret mixture. Dehydrate for 3ish hours, depending on thickness of the meat.

4. Twig

Twig Senior Refuge Member

Grind like burger, mix seasoning in and marinate for 24 hours. Jerky gun into strips and dehydrate until done.

5. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Ground, dried paste is not jerky...

6. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 Elite Refuge Member

Freeze it for about an hour to get it firm, slice thin. Marinate in a brine, primarily soy sauce, and whatever seasonings I'm feeling like. Run one end of each strip through a ka-bob skewer so that there are about 8-10 pieces hanging per skewer. Aluminum foil on bottom of oven set to 275, put the skewers across the racks so the meat hangs down. Heat until dry... usually takes about 4, 5 hours.

7. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

My deer butcher slices it about 1/4-inch or maybe a little less. That's about as thick as you can go without running into bacteria/spoilage issues, at least from what I've heard.

There may be commercial driers that can do thicker cuts, or there may be some sort of additive to prevent spoilage or health issues. Not sure how thick your friend's cuts were.

I use a 50/50 mix of soy and teriyaki with lots of black pepper. I smoke it at 160 degrees for three or four hours or until it's done. You have to check often to make sure it's the right texture and not over-dried to where it becomes brittle. Make sure the pieces are laid flat and not overlapping.

Also, don't overdo the smoke. A little goes a long way with jerky. A smoker imparts a flavor you can't get from an oven, even with added liquid smoke.

8. 12VMAN

12VMAN Banned

slice it thin
    marinate it for a couple days
    smoke it for an hr or so just to give it that smoky taste
    finish off in the dehydrator

9. gbuckcanuck

gbuckcanuck Senior Refuge Member

I've done a lot of goose jerky as well as venison and beef.

prior to getting a meat slicer I used to grind it. Ground is good but it is a bit more hassle. Now that I can do consistent uniform cuts I no longer grind.

after trying the oven and smoker I am now back to the dehydrator.

I've tried a number of the kits and also make my own spice blend. for packaged spices the hi-mountain pepper garlic is a personal fav.

family, friend and kids go through the finished product really quickly.

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I know this guy used a dehydrator but he didn't slice it thin. More like long twisted sticks. He used a coarse ground peppercorn on the "sticks".

Jerky may not be the correct term but that's what he called it.