Anybody dry or jerky your game meat?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Bear, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

The guy in the video addresses this...even shows how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdmCbdER4U

That said...whatever trips the cooks trigger.:tu

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

This love of ground "jerky" must be a Yankee thing....real jerky is sliced, marinated/brined, and dried--ideally with a little smoke. :yes

I've tried the ground stuff several times, just not my thing. Dehydrator is easiest but I really love it when it's been smoked. I usually smoke mine for a bit then finish on dehydrator; like someone said it doesn't take much smoke.
    Sure is a lot of expense and work for something that disappears so fast!

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Make goose jerky n smoker slice thin rub dry rub on it some for a while then toss in oven at two hundred for little bit to dry out a tad yummy

4. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Smoking Gun Jerky marinade and you'll never mess with the Hi-Mountain style mixes mess again. As simple as it gets and tastes way better.

5. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much what Capt. Cormant says. I tried the ground way... it was just okay.
    Got a slicer from Cabelas in the bargain cave for $79, it attaches to the grinder motor. Haven't looked back since. All tough old geese (you can tell when breasting) get jerked. I've done ducks and venison too.

I use the HiMountain stuff, it's just so easy. Marinate/cure overnight. The next day in the oven for about a hour. You can pull it out when it's moist or dry it to leather, whatever you like.

I keep a baggy of it in the truck and munch on some most every day!

6. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

I use to make bags and bags of jerky when I worked at my old job. I'd show up at 7am with 25ish sandwich bags for $5 each and I'd be sold out in 10 minutes. I could have done that every day if I wanted to...sure was a nice way to make some extra money. The folks at work acted like it was crack.:l

7. Moody

Moody Senior Refuge Member

Question - the hi mountain products say to refrig or freeze as it doesn't have preservatives. Kind of ruins the point of jerky to me. Anybody had a problem not refriging hi mountain cured jerky?

Thanks for the thread, getting into the jerky game with some left over deer, will try ducks too.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've never had jerky last long enough to worry about preservatives!

9. Traxion

Traxion Elite Refuge Member

Uniformity is key with whole muscle jerky. If you don't have consisent thickness of strips your drying times are wacky. Some pieces are overdone and others are underdone.

Ground jerky isn't the same as whole meat but anymore I prefer it. I feel I can get better taste and uniform flavor than with whole muscle. I also don't have to spend a bunch of time trimming meat for jerky, just grind it and go.

Either way the smoker makes better jerky IMO. A little more labor but well worth it.

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

There's a BBQ/country store out on the far edge of town that at the counter has pickle jars of both whole meat and ground "formed" meat jerky. They'll reach in and brown snack bag whichever you want. I've developed a taste for the formed stuff but also like a stick of the dried that was just perfectly textured I could "cud" chew a stick while we were driving back in. Life is good when you realize there is one stick left and your Daughter reaches for it and you're glad she got it...right after she offers it to you. :)