Anybody dry or jerky your game meat?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Bear, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

These folks?

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/products.jsp

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Just curious, why do so many use premade jerky marinades as opposed to making their own?

3. Capt. Cormorant

Capt. Cormorant Elite Refuge Member

I have yet to find a recipe that I like.

4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I agree...We were raised on Kraft bottled BBQ sauce and catsup and pretty much go with it on grunt meat meals. That said...rubs and marinades add the personal and "I made this" good feeling about it when real cookin is done.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Pretty much all of my marinades/rubs for jerky consist of whatever I feel like throwing in there at the moment. I just use stuff that I use for other cooking and can't say I've ever made any that wasn't pretty good. Except teriyaki, that's not my thing at all, can't stand teriyaki jerky.

I've just never really even thought to buy a marinade so it's surprising that so many use one.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Bear,
    No. Their website is www.smokinggunjerky.com . I used to use/try every other store bought mix I could find and the Smoking Gun marinade is by far the easiest and best tasting I've come across. 2 cups of marinade with 5lbs. of meat into a Ziploc and let it 'soak" overnite and then throw it on the dehydrator.

7. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Made over 400 geese into jerky this year and by far the smoking gun was the best we've done.

We usually breast the birds out and slice them up at the same time. We tried soaking the blood out of the meat in water before marinading but took away some flavor and texture. No point in freezing either just an extra step you don't need to do. Our dehydrator will do 15 big honkers or 30 snows. Slice them 3/16, marinate 24 hours and dehydrate for 8 hours at 160. Finish in the over for 30 minutes at 180. Put in a bag and let it sit for 2-3 days and they will retain the right amout of moisture. Now jack links jerky tastes like dog food.

8. sx3

sx3 Senior Refuge Member

Does the marinade have a cure in it? I would like to make a pile soon. Still looking for that winner spice/marinade.

9. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

When we were kids the pre-soak was milk. Supposed to take the blood and wild taste out.

I always thought the wild taste was the point of going through the whole hunting process. Some of those women ate wild game to survive on those goat ranches growing up and the closest thing they came to beef was when the milk cow died of old age. Many of them wanted the venison to be alchemized into prime rib-eye because they had gotten a lifetime of goat...venison and javelina by the time they were twelve.

Also back then "fat stock" was what they called the livestock show and back then venison looked like hard times meat.

What is it...papaya that's a natural meat tenderizer?