Anybody got a duck gumbo recipe? (POst 11)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Alamosa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

I have been using Zatarain's gumbo mix and substituting duck. It is excellent but I am ready to try it from scratch.

P.S. I hope Zatarains business was able to withstand the hurricane.

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Tell you what--My buddy from LA and east Texas and I used to make roux rom scratch BUT we now uise Savoie's from Opelousas La. man it's easy and very good. I make Duck Gumbo and goose as well as seafood Gumbo--First i take chix stock or duck (duck stock can be a bit strong) and add roux to it-- i then cook it down to 1/2 of what i had- add more stock and cook it down again- then I saute duck chunks and add stock to make original amount and cook it till duck is tender- then i add chopped celery, onions, gr pepper, and garlic-- and cook till they are tender- i add some canned okra- and it's ready- seasoning is most important- i use a mix of--2 tsp sweet paprika,1tspea-cayene pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, seasoned salt,1/2 tsp ea--cumin,bl pepper, dry mustard,and a pinch ea of oregano and sw basil. mix seasonings and use carefully--can also use Tony's or Zatrain's creole but I like my mix better.

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

4. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

I use this as a start for my gumbos. The trick on gumbo is the roux and the stocks.. Check out www.gumbopages.com and go to the recipe page. It is a great resource.:tu

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

The Zartarian's mix reminded me of something. I can a batch of duck or goose every year, mainly to use with these mixes. Works with most any of them. The Gumbo and Jambalaya are my favorites. Great for a quick easy meal.

6. stupid question, but do you just cube the breast and fry it in a pan before adding it?

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

8. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

Filets off the breast. 1) Blackend or smoked and then cut up and added to the gumbo. I have fried the breast filets like chickens as well..

9. Millrat

Millrat Moderator

10. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

My last gumbo had the legs and boneless breasts from the ducks fried and added to the gumbo with the cubed meat from 2 smoked goose breasts. Some chorizo sausage completed the protein package.