Anybody got a duck gumbo recipe? (POst 11)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Alamosa, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

This is the Gumbo Recipie I use and never had anybody not love it.

Works for venison an other meats too.

It is sombody else's recipie so I am qouting it

2. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Glad I found this :tu

3. SteveB

SteveB Banned

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

ONE GREAT DUCK AND ANDOUILLE GUMBO

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    2 pounds duck breast fillets, diced to bite size, divided
    Salt and pepper
    2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, divided
    1 1/2 pounds diced andouille sausage, divided
    3 tablespoons butter
    4 ribs celery, chopped
    2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 large onion, peeled and chopped
    2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
    2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce (for mild to moderate heat..I use BullCook's Swampfire! - cause I can...you use what you got ;) )
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 quart chicken stock or broth
    3 cups chopped okra, fresh - or defrosted frozen baby okra
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in puree
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    file' powder
    green onions, thinly sliced on an angle
    2 1/2 cups rice, cooked

Soak diced duck at least overnight in milk and water with some vinegar added.

Preheat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and 1 pound of the diced duck. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle on half of the poultry seasoning. Brown on all sides, about 2 or 3 minutes. Chop your veggies while it's working. Add half the andouille to the pan and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer duck and sausage to a dish and repeat with remaining duck and sausage, remembering to season again as you go. Return pan to heat and add butter. When the butter melts, add chopped celery, peppers, onion and bay. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook 3 to 5 minutes to begin to soften veggies. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in the broth and bring liquid up to a boil. Add okra, duck and sausage to the boiling broth, then stir in your tomatoes and thyme. Bring back up to a bubble, reduce to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to combine flavors and adjust your seasonings. Serve gumbo over rice, dust with file' and sprinkle with green onions to garnish. Enjoy!

5. Frog

Frog Senior Refuge Member

Here is a simple one I have been making for a few years and family & friends love it!
    Often I will make two batches at a time during season and freeze some in tupperware and take a tupperware full out in the boat blind, reheat and make fresh rice :tu

GUMBO

8 to 10 servings
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup flour
    2 ribs celery, finely chopped
    6 garlic cloves, chopped
    3 cups onions, finely chopped (yes, 3 cups!)
    3 bell peppers, chopped
    3 quarts cooled chicken broth (canned or cubes)
    4 cups diced duck or goose breast in bite size pcs.
    2 cups sliced andouille sausage in bite sized pcs.
    1 cup of small shrimp
    1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 bay leaf
    1 10-ounce package frozen okra, diced
    1 can of corn
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    splash of tabasco

FYI-For frozen breasts I thaw out and cube the duck breasts the night before and soak in water with a splash of salt over night to remove more of the blood. Last year for shot up birds I got smart and pre cut them up and marked the package "Gumbo" to save some time.

Heat oil in a large skillet or large sauce pan that will hold all ingrediants over medium heat and add duck/goose and sausage. Brown sausage and diced duck/goose pcs. Cook duck/goose to medium done-Do not overcook! Remove duck/goose and sausage from skillet with slotted spoon to leave drippings in skillet. To make rioux whisk in flour and cook until mahogany brown, but not burnt, stirring constantly. Add the celery, garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook for 5+ minutes while stirring. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 45 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Add duck/goose, sausage and the other remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 more minutes or until duck/goose is tender. Serve over warm white rice and add hot sauce to taste.

Enjoy!

6. drop tine

drop tine Refuge Member

Just made my first batch of this and I will make it many more times to come. Thanks for posting!!!

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

I use Savoie's dark roux(very good) and quick-along with chopped celeery- onions- peppers and season with paul prudhomes mix from his book- basically the same as above--for ducks i simmer bnls chunks in water with sm amount of chix base- celery tops-onionm skins or slice and bouquet garni-when tender i strain stock- throw out veg and use stock for cumbo- mix Savoie's with stock boil down once or twice to almost 1/2 then add veg-meat-and at last Okra.

8. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator