Decoy Forum Sponsors

Anybody heard of Tex Wirtz Decoys?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by mrdux, Oct 26, 2002.

1. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

Anybody Heard of Tex Wirtz Decoys?
    Several years ago, I bought out a decoy spread from a guy who was getting out of waterfowling. There were several decoys that I had never seen or heard of. They are mallard drakes and hens that were made by a company called Tex Wirtz Enterprises Inc. The company name is engraved in the keel. They are a heavy plastic with weighted keel. The plastic is very hard, almost like pvc. The heads are fixed position and both decoys use the same mold, different paint with the hen being very light tan with small feather detail painted on the body.

I have used these for a few years and plan on getting them out of our spread. Does anyone know if these decoys may be collectible? I had never seen them before or since. Any info will be appreciated.

Doug

Photo posted on Duckhunter Forum

2. NWMOhunter

NWMOhunter Refuge Member

I picked up some of these decoys this past summer and I'm looking for info as well. I bought a dozen off of a guy for $10! I got a heck of a deal and couldn't pass it up no matter what brand they were. The dozen I got were 6 mallards and 6 pintails (3 drakes and 3 hens each).

I was looking through an issue of Wildfowl one day and saw an article on a guy who guides people. I read the article and another day or so later was looking through the mag. again and noticed a picture that went with the article. In the pic. it shows 2 Tex Wirtz decoys along with a dead duck. There is a phone number for the guy and I tried to call him once but didn't get an answer or got a busy signal. I guess I need to call him again and try to find out some info.

If you find something out, please let me know! I've hunted with them a couple of times and I'd like to find something out before I beat them up.

Mine have sat for 30 years and are in like new condition! The guy I bought them from was in the Army and I think he said he bought them at the PX (not sure where), but he was stationed in either MO or KS. Maybe if we work together we can figure something out!

3. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

NWMO, I ran a search on the company and didn't come up with anything. There are a pair of Wirtz bluebills on E-Bay that look really rough for $30/pair. I put a pair of mine on E-Bay. Maybe we can find something out. Mine have been used for the last 5 years or so in Mo. Bootheel rice field lease where they have stayed out all season but they still look good.

4. NWMOhunter

NWMOhunter Refuge Member

I did see a Tex Wirtz duck call just go for $50 on eBay. It had the complete package and everything. I would have picked it up, but didn't want to fork out the $$$ right now. At least it might have had an address or some other company info on it.

I saw one on there last night and it didn't have a reed or cork or no packaging.

I've also posed the question on some other forums and came up with nothing. This might be a tough one.

5. 7Greenheads

7Greenheads Senior Refuge Member

I used to hunt with Joe “Tex” Wirtz in the 60s. He was the uncle of my hunting partner. He passed away early 80’s. These decoys were manufactured late 60s early 70’s. They were polyethylene and the first ones had a paint peeling problem. Later they roughed the surface and the paint held up better. They were pretty good looking decoys for their time and were some of the first plastics. I think they produced mallards, blacks, pinny and bluebills. Not sure how long they were in production.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. 7Greenheads

I think they were produced by flambeau.

7. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

That's funny that you mentioned his name . I was at my buddy's house on Halloween , and his neighbor gave me one of his duck calls .

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

If I remember correctly I think he was from Ohio.

9. 7Greenheads

Joe lived in Palos Park, IL

10. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I have several dozen Tex Wirtz decoys. I have mallards, blacks, pintails, bluebills, redheads, and canvasbacks. I have seen 1 full body blue goose field decoy. I buy every one I can. The guy that took me duck hunting the very first time had a couple of dozen. I ended up with those, and it has been an obsession ever since.