Anybody hunt fall turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Sep 27, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I never have. Thinking about buying a tag though because i feel like squirrel hunting and deer hunting I see plenty (often more than the squirrels or deer I may be targeting).

My understanding is you just have to pattern them in fall, where they roost, feed, and the travel routes inbetween. We can hunt them with dogs here in the fall but mines too dumb and i dont know anyone with a "turkey dog."

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Never have. Just not enough time when the season opens. I'd love to tag along to see a turkey dog work, and I have a couple of friends who have dogs and love it.

3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Love it. I have killed fall turkeys about every way but turkey dogs and I know some good people with great dogs.

Fall toms are the biggest challenge. Best I've ever done is called in a flock of about 14 with three mature gobblers.

The cluck is the key.

Don't buy all the hype about having to bust up flocks to kill birds. They are very social.

4. seiowa

Thats what a lot of the literature says, bust up the flock.

But ive also heard that some kee kee runs can be pretty effective too.

5. seiowa

If i could teach a lab or brittany to hunt turkey I would (and maybe its possible - dunno, you just dont see it a lot here). I dont have the time or space to have a dedicated turkey dog unless it can multitask.

6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

For hens any call will do. Kee kee runs and yelps.

But the tricks to gobblers is very little calling and deep sounding clucks spaced minutes apart. Once you hear fall gobblers you may realize you have been hearing them for years and not making the connection.

auto5 and Scotty like this.
  7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

They must change the area they use from spring to fall. I don't hunt the fall birds but in years past, I've had as many as 55 birds in my backyard during the spring and summer. Come fall, not a one...ever. Don't know where they go but they must stack up pretty thick.

8. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Bust up the flock and sit down and start calling. The earlier in the season, the faster they will regroup. It can take an hour or more later in the season. Call loud and aggressively early in the season. The young ones are desperate to regroup.
    If I get a good scatter, I look for a single or pair that split off and then head in that general direction to reduce the distance they have to travel. They don't always regroup in the exact spot.
    If you can get under them when they are still on the roost, you will be golden. They typically scatter well. Also, if you can scatter them off the roost right before dark, they'll want to get back together first thing in the AM. Watch the direction that a few fly and try to get in the middle of them.
    The hardest part is scattering them. Once you do that, it's mostly a matter of sitting still and calling.

Pastor likes this.
  9. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

My wirehair usually points them in January while pheasant hunting in a few spots. Seems we always find a handful of birds that try to sit tight thinking we won't see them. Never have a tag in my pocket when they jump up out of the weeds though! It can be hard getting my dog back to hunting pheasants after finding a few turkeys!

10. huntinkid

huntinkid Elite Refuge Member

One time while deer hunting I had two nice Toms playing around about 20-30 yards in front of me for a good 10 minutes. They came back and did the same later. At the time, Indiana had just opened fall turkey season to a few new counties, and I didn't know they had opened it to the county I was in. Could've easily killed one of the toms, (I had a tag too) but didn't think it was legal. Ever since that day I've never had a turkey within bow range while deer hunting. Never hunted them specifically though.