Anybody hunt fall turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Not anymore. They are not chalange to hunt, too dump, and my wife refuses to cook/eat them.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

They are overpopulated around my neck of the woods. The 12 apple trees in my yard are a magnet for them. Their crap is all over my driveway. Last weekend we were taking care of my son's border collie pup and I turned him loose on them.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Never done it. Alabama did away with it in my county the year I bought my land. :doh

Always heard busting them up works good, if you spot them from afar. Just sit down where they busted, and they will come right back. Turkey definitely use different areas throughout the year. I have different ones around the house at various times of the year. They are as dumb as a brick, but they are still my favorite bird to hunt. Nothing you can do with your pants on beats hearing a fired up gobbler come in. But it's a spring time thing for me. I'll let 'em rest in the fall.

4. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

I love it. The Maryland mountains are beautiful during our 1 week season in early November and it's fun to hunt turkey and grouse at the same time.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

You've just never heard a fall tom gobble.

bullpinnie likes this.
  6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

They come to a call just like spring birds do. I haven't gun hunted them in a couple of years, but managed to shoot a few with my bow.

7. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I used to chase fall birds hard in the mountains. But now only chase them in the spring. Sure they will sometimes gobble in the fall but not much hunting compares to spring turkey hunting IMHO.

8. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

The wife will probably start this weekend, as she's tagged out on deer already. If you bust them up and kee kee, they are apt to run you over trying to regroup. But, setting on a field edge with a few feeding hen decoys can work pretty good as well. We don't call much in the fall. I'll get on them after I'm done with deer hunting. It's quite a bit different then spring but still a good time.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

***-U-ME. You should try to avoid doing that.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum