Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Anyone attempted one of these?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by stevena198301, Dec 14, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I’m almost interested...

I dunno about 145HP, but maybe a stock 500cc or smaller?

FWIW, it was more enjoyable to watch it with no sound.

2. mirrocraft1648

mirrocraft1648 Senior Refuge Member

I've thought
    I've thought about it, I think you'd need more than 500cc to move any size hull/load. I've seen a few small ones guys built.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Cool idea, have pondered doing something similar but building the whole boat. Just too many weeds around here to be practical though, at least for my uses.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. stevena198301

Been doing some studying on it. Can’t figure that weedless part out. Not enough places here to justify one, except for fun.

tcc likes this.
  5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Had a jet drive OB back in the early 90’s. While in theory a good idea for waterfowl situations, practical application revealed numerous issues. Had I kept the rig would have ditched the jet lower and put a prop lower with bored out water jackets and a hydraulic jack plate.

6. stevena198301

Jet drives would work amazing on some of the rivers and creeks here, but I never duck hunt them, as they are all surrounded by private property. So, the boat would only get used to go fast up and down the river. Just isn't worth it. But with that being said, if I did make a jet drive boat, I'd love to try and build out one of these things. Guys are making 250HP 17' jon boats. :eek:

7. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

What about the motor and jet from one of those 2 up watercraft? If a crashed one were available then someone with some skills could adapt it in a smaller boat. Up here jets are the norm. Guys use something called a stomp grate to manually clear the intake grate. Pretty slick. 1000cc jetski power in a 16 ft jon. Oh baby....

8. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

I mentioned this to a friend and he laughed. He showed me his toy... It is a Mokai jet powered kayak. So simple but he says it goes great. It has a little Subaru motor. I want that rigged into a jon boat. Steering is with a joystick. Easy. Something to check out.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Mokai's are for old people, homo's and tree hugger's this is way more your style Steven.