Anyone drive a Jeep?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Phil@Refuge, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Phil@Refuge

Phil@Refuge Senior Refuge Member

Here is my '96 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2l. It has the full time 4X4 and 4Low only. Just got it last week and threw some new tires on it this past weekend. I had to do a little work such as get the blinkers to work, install a radio, get the overhead console to work with the lights and information center and remove a front window decal banner. I drove it all weekend and it's getting right at 18 mpg!

Attached Files:

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have two '04 WJ Limiteds. Some very minor issues since 2007, nothing I couldn't fix myself. One has 170K miles, the other almost 80K. Both are 4.7/QuadraDrive. Very capable. They both get the same mileage on the highway as your's did: 18mpg.

Join the two big Jeep forums. You'll have a tremendous knowledge resource in those. Grand Cherokee's enjoy fanatic owner loyalty.

3. Windrider

Windrider Elite Refuge Member

I drive a black 01XJ most days. She sits on 33s and hasn't let me get stuck yet. Used for hunting and fishing as much as possible. 102K.

06 tan LJ on 33s is currently the pull behind for the rig and the backup for when the xj goes down for any of the myriad of issues that seems to plague vehicles of 5" of lift. 29K.

Love me some inline 6 and two solid axles.

I've off roaded that xJ pretty hard and the last time it needed an alignment was 24k miles ago. Seems like I had to get my IFS stuff aligned after every off road trip.

4. Phil@Refuge

Phil@Refuge Senior Refuge Member

I did join the JeepForum and they have already helped tremendously! I took it out this weekend for some boondock camping at a lake for the first time and not only did it pull great, but did great when I had to go up a few good hills!

Attached Files:

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Amen to that! I'm a Landcruiser guy myself but that's just a solid, durable drivetrain setup there.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We are proud owners of a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited. This vehicle was selected after also shopping BMW, Acura, Lexus and Subaru. We love this vehicle. Jeep has really stepped into the luxury SUV space and made America proud.

This Grand Cherokee replaces a 1997 V8 Grand Cherokee we purchased in 1999 with 27K miles and sold running strong with 182K miles. It was a great vehicle and a very safe one for the winter driving conditions we experience in Northern Idaho.

JeepForum and JeepGarage.org are indeed two good forums for Jeep owners and fanboys like me. :cool:

Attached Files:

7. Joe Guide

Joe Guide Refuge Member

2000 Jeep Sport 4x4 Inline six, keep it at 55 mph on the highway during trips, and I'll get 18 MPG. A solid and rugged vehicle. A work horse of a vehicle.

8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Just bought an 01 four door XJ last night.

Will be a daily driver for a while and then will become a sweet hunting rig once a new pick up is purchased.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

We have three Jeeps in the motor pool ("97 Grand Cherokee, '98 Grand Cherokee & '99 XJ Sport) with a combined total of 651K miles on them and all are daily drivers.

Remember, Jeep went to war to make it safe for Range Rover to go to soccer practice.

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Couple weeks in with the xj now.

Have a front oil seal leak and am losing coolant up high on the engine, there is a pool caught in a recess beside the alternator.

Also was told I need new front calipers, rotors, and pads. Probably will do rotors and pads and shoes on the back.

Have read on the jeep forums about using tj leaf springs to get a softer ride and some lift for off-road use. I know I will need tires before winter so I would like to make room to go slightly bigger.

And then the niceties: head liner, fog lamps need replacing, I've got a rear wiper switch dead, and a wiring issue (bare wire grounding out maybe) on the rear defrost lines, new steering wheel (leather is split), cargo area floor mat, roof rack or hitch rack thingy.

It is thus far proving the maxim just empty every pocket.