Anyone ever been involved in an accident

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by JN, Jan 10, 2001.

1. JN

JN Senior Refuge Member

Thought with all the new comers to the sport this would be a good topic. I was last year or almost anyway it scared the h*ll out or me.I had already bagged my turkeys for the year and was tring to get one for my 9yr. old boy, a friend was also helping me. We were on private land. We struck 3 gobblers on the roost, they flew down and started strutting with some hens about 80yrds. off.They were vary vocal to the calls, they would work up to about 50 yrds. then back off. That happened 4 or 5 times maybe 100+ gobbeles. Well during all this calling and gobbling someone snuck up with the birds between us and him and shot one! The shot racked through the brush in less then 3 or 4 yrds. of us!I know with all the hen yelpping we were doing he had to know we were hunters not turkeys, after all hens don't call gobblers they go to them hunters call gobblers! I chased him down and let him have a piece of my mind, all he had to say is he'd let me in on a secret you don't call turkeys late in the season.Well if I have to sneak up on them I don't want that bird! Remember SAFTY FIRST always but expecialt in the turkey woods.

2. ACC/Boykin

ACC/Boykin Elite Refuge Member

JN you can call late in the year, sometimes
    just not as often as the beginning of the year. That guy just had no manners and no
    buisness in the woods you should never shoot
    unless your sure of your target and whats behind it. Im glad you, your friend and your
    son werent hurt. Be xtra careful and safe
    guys live to hunt another day. Boykinluvr...

3. YellowLabKS

YellowLabKS Senior Refuge Member

JN, your are right, he probably should have known that you were hunters. I have never heard of anyone say that 'you don't call turkeys in the late season.' What the heck? Does the season run into July? I've called turkeys in on the last day of our season which is late May.

4. Limb Chicken

Limb Chicken Refuge Member

You should have said, "you know what let me let you in on a little secret you are trespassing and I need you to wait here while I call the DNR so they can write your dumb a** a ticket. You were in the right this fella was a slob and doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. It makes me mad even thinking about it!

------------------
    Go Early, Stay Late...
    Limb Chicken

5. Wegion_1

Wegion_1 Guest

I worked for a fisheries biologist who was shot this year. Lost the use of one eye, he got away lucky. I would tell you the details, but I just get angry. Now to really fire ya'll up. After the biologist was shot, I bragged that I only hunted on private land that no one else had permission to be on. I went out early to set up, there was a pick-up already there. I wrote down the plate to give it to the owner and drove half a mile north. I walked east 1/4 mile to set up. It started getting brite, I glanced over to see two turkey hunters on the neibors propery. So I started walking north again. 200yds. I see another turkey hunter east, and he is staying low and walking away from me. So I keep going north. I hear a tom and decide to set up. I worked this bird for 45 min. and finally bag him. I tag him and start across a bean feild when I see two more tueky hunters coming from the west. They congradulated me and then start bragging on how they had followed me out. Then how they worked their way in front of me to steal the tom I was working. He was about 200yards in a direct line of where I shot that bird. He was amazed how he could not steal the tom away from my calling. I was so hot, I created my own high preasure zone. He was showing a 14 year old boy how to steal turkeys!!! I can not put into writeing what I felt or what I said.