Anyone ever Plasti Dip their rims?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by QuaaackerJack, Apr 21, 2018.

1. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck using this product on some old alloy rims? I have a 97 F150 I'd ike to do something with, other than spending $1,000 on some different rims. Any input or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Like, camo dip? A guy I work with does hydro dips. I’d be afraid of the durability.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I've seen a few, they looked like crap. A rattle can paint job would hold up much better if prepped well. You could likely have them powdercoated for a reasonable price too, although not as easy to touch up when it chips.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  4. chasin mallards

chasin mallards Senior Refuge Member

QJack, I did mine a few years ago using the PlastiDip spray cans if that is what you are referencing. I had a White Trailblazer and sprayed my rims a granite color. I took my rims off and prepped well and had no issues the year or two I had my Tblazer before getting rid of it.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Spray paint held up great for years on my old truck rims. Sand well, wipe with degreaser, place index cards around the tire edge to prevent overspray, 2 light coats of primer followed by 3 coats of light spray paint. After reinstalling, touch up lug nuts with spray paint. The plastidip stuff is ok until something(my fear was cornstalks) starts a "tear" in it somehow. Then it will peel easily.

6. QuaaackerJack

QuaaackerJack Senior Refuge Member

I was under the impression that alloy rims wouldn't take paint very well?
    Am I misinformed or is there a proper way to prep them that will hold the paint?
    Thanks for all the input, just looking for something to keep me busy for the next 4 months until early teal season

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah that's the problem I've seen, it peels unlike paint which generally just scratches

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Google up 'etching primer'. I have used it on my guns, and it really makes a difference. My searching said that is the way to go for alloy rims.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Etching aluminum makes a huge difference. You can also etch it with vinegar then use a regular primer.