Anyone from Talkeetna??

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Blackbart, May 26, 2003.

1. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

I make a trip up the Talkeetna to fish for the almost every year. Just wondering if there are any locals that frequent this site and how the thaw was this year.

I've been thinking about a combo red/duck trip in August, any info you have would be great.

2. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Very little snow this winter, very low water now. Water has been rising as the glaciers are starting to melt but its going to be one of those summers. We had lots of flooding last fall which changed all the river channels. Makes for kind of scarry running, especially on the talkeetna.

3. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

That river can be treacherous even on a good year. Last year when we were on the way out of Clear Creek I had to make an extra trip with the service we were using to get all of our stuff. On the way back up we drop someone at the main camp and when we shoved off the beach the motor wouldn't start. There we were spinning down the Talkeetna like a little cork. Thankfully we got stuck on some rocks just below the Dolly hole and finally got the boat started and rocked our way out off.