Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Anyone gotten a ticket yet for shooting seatucks in the OSWZ?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by duckbutler, Jan 20, 2017.

1. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

Or any getting checked stories?

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

nope

Had a friend tell me he shot a nice drake Old squaw couple days ago, and couple other hunters at the ramp said they're out of season. They said Pitboss said so, I thought that was funny.

TDB duckin likes this.
  3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

A buddy of mine told me he was thinking about going sea duck hunting this week until I told him to check the regs and advised him of the early closure.

4. SMDGUNNER

SMDGUNNER Refuge Member

Quite a few parties in St. Mary's are still killing them, they are going the 400 yards offshore to get in the waterfowl zone but just making sure not to go the 800 yards into the seaduck zone. Then just counting them towards the 6 bird daily limit instead of the seperate seaduck limit.

TDB duckin likes this.
  5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Is what i,m hearing is that if you stay out of seaduck zone but stay far enough away from licensed shoreline you can still shoot seaducks? Thought it was closed?

6. SMDGUNNER

SMDGUNNER Refuge Member

The regulations say that seaduck may not be harvested after January 13th in the "seaduck zone". From November 5th to January 13th, a limit of five seaducks may be killed 800 yards offshore in addition to your six bird daily bag limit. Now that the "800 yard offshore seaduck season" is closed, seaducks may still be harvested however they count toward the standard daily bag limit of 6 ducks. So that being said, in certain areas where the offshore waterfowl zone is only 400 yards offshore, you may still go kill seaducks "offshore" technically.

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

So if you hunt the seaduck zone and count any seaducks killed towards your regular bag limit are you legal? Example 2 bluebills & 4 scoter?

TDB duckin likes this.
  8. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

Do you have some one from the Michigan DNR making those confusing regulations? There are so many if, and, and buts in our regulations it is ridiculous.

9. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

No, the sea duck season is closed in the sea duck zone. It's that simple stop making it complicated.

10. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

If you hunt the offshore waterfowl zone where it overlaps the sea duck zone..you are still in the sea duck zone. The only place you can legally kill sea ducks now is outside of the 800 yard sea duck zone. This would include Charles and St Marys Counties from 400-799 yards offshore or from a licensed blind/blind site anywhere else.

Scotty likes this.