Anyone have an 870 like this, or know much about them?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Golovkin, Nov 14, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I have one that I won at a DU dinner years ago, don't remember the year but it was some time back. It was equally smooth as the Wingmaster I bought back in the mid 70's but near as "purty".

Golovkin likes this.
  2. dawgman

dawgman Elite Refuge Member

My main shotgun is an 870 SPS 3in. Only thing I've for over 25 years is replace the ejector. Great gun!

Golovkin likes this.
  3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yea, here's mine

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

That is an aftermarket stock and I recently had it re-blued... my paw is a gunsmith and I asked him what the "special purpose" meant, and he said the only difference is the gun has a satin finish instead of the usual gloss

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Heck, if this the case, a 97 cent can of dull black spray paint from Walmart could make a Walmart 870 Express shotgun a "Special Purpose" gun. In fact two cans could make me " Special" .
    :dv

5. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Don't use them much, but my 870 WM, 870 DU Guide Gun SP are of equal quality, the Express was so rough I thought something was bent. Couple nights working with lap compound, emery cloth and dremel it is decent. DU and Express are tractor or truck guns. SP has never rusted despite ack of care and exposure to elements. Express rusts when you look at it.

Golovkin likes this.
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

The 870s with the U-cut in the shell carrier/lifter floor plate on later 870s is to allow the action to be cycled with a shot shell riding on the carrier. Just FYI for those wondering what the U-cut was an indication of.

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Remington rep on another blog says the difference between the Special Purpose and Express is a heavier more weather resistant finish on the SP. Remington discontinued the SP. The mechanics were/are the same.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  8. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Take this for the Rumor it probably is. The Matte finished SP 870 was how Remington cleaned out the thousands of actions that would not finish to the quality of a wingmaster. Seconds that had good machine work but not a good base for a high gloss finish. Then when the Seconds where all gone they started production of the Express with the remaining actions.

9. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I had a couple very early Express guns. They where as slick and smooth as any Wingmaster. Smoother than the 1977 model I currently use.

10. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

I have an 870 Wingmaster given to me on my 13th birthday. (1973). It is left-handed, has a 3-inch chamber and two barrels; 28 modified and 30 full. It's action is as smooth as silk and I still take it out now and again. I could never match the number of ducks and doves I've been fortunate enough to harvest with it over the last 44 years with my newer Beretta A400. Just feels right every time. Lots of great memories and even a lost and found adventure after flipping the boat in a deep tidal river on a chilly January 1st 17 degree morning. Thank goodness for patience, big magnets, and Stern's float coats that saved my brother and myself from sure death. It has shot geese and ducks in Tx, La, Ms, Tn, Mo, Ark, Nc, and Sc. Dang, thought I heard some wings.....................

API likes this.