Anyone here fish Blue Cats?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by wooduck26, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone?

They are on my list of fish to catch, but will require a roadtrip to do it....:(

2. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Yes, big time!

Have caughts hundreds and hundreds over the years. All the way from fiddlers up to non eater sized behemoths (50lbs+).

For a couple of years I spent a lot of hours on the Ohio River trying to break our state record blue cat (104lb caught by Bruce Midkiff (now deceased) in 1999). Caught some dandies and had some big ones break off, but never got close to his incredible fish.

Haven't really gone after them as hard the last couple of years, but thinking about giving it a go again when the water is better.

Ever going to be around Kentucky give me a shout ahead of time.

3. Luckytiger

Luckytiger Senior Refuge Member

Shock 'em up regularly on th' river....plus channels and flatheads. Chasin' those stunned goofy fish on th' surface is a hoot!!:grvn

4. Spanky03

Spanky03 Elite Refuge Member

On the Red River in Bossier City. When I was stationed down there it was awesome!!!! Used cut shad on a thick South Bend rod&reel with 40lb test drifting down the river off of the side of the boat. We would also camp on a sand bar and run 20 or so jugs with cut shad and just fill the cooler with 5-10 pounders all night long. We would also catch huge flatheads using live bluegils tied to the bank with 550 cord.

5. FishnCats

FishnCats New Member

Fish for them all the time on the Potomac River.Except for May to early August when they are in their spawning phase and the bite slows.My biggest is 75 lbs. but have landed many 50 lb fish on the boat and a 78 lb last October.

6. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

No, but I'd sure like to try too!

We catch a lot of flatheads from 7, 8 pounds to 30+ on our local river and tons of 6-10 pound eating size channel cats. I'm just not in an area with blues...have heard a lot of guys say they have caught them but all the ones they showed me were just big channel cats.

7. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

When we going to Yankton???

8. wooduck26

wooduck26 Elite Refuge Member

You mean St. Louis? I've got a free place to stay a mile from the river! I'd love to make that trip!