Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Anyone hunting Champlain, NY and Quebec...

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by snogoose, Jan 1, 2004.

1. snogoose

snogoose Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This is not intended as SPAM!

I will be doing seminars on duck and goose hunting at the Yankee Classic Sportsman's Show in Essex Junction, VT on January 16-18th.

In speaking with the producers of this show last year, I asked about the minimal representation that waterfowling receives and I was told that "there just aren't enough waterfowlers out there to make it (worth the effort to market the Show.)”

I disagree.

The Missisquoi National Refuge was just named as one of the top destinations for waterfowlers in New England. Although there are only approximately 3,000 waterfowl hunters in VT (according to the VT F&W) I have met and heard from so many of you who travel here to hunt (or would if you knew about it!) that I am appalled at this perception.

I would like to know, just how many of us are there in New England and New York?

Last year, a Canadian guide and I wanted to see about getting a calling contest (maybe non-sanctioned at first,…and then getting a real live sanctioned one if we got a decent response) but met with the above argument – “there aren’t really enough people who duck hunt…that’s just the reality of the demographics.”…

What’s your opinion!

Thanks for speaking up!

2. Deion

Deion Elite Refuge Member

Last year, a Canadian guide and I wanted to see about getting a calling contest (maybe non-sanctioned at first,…and then getting a real live sanctioned one if we got a decent response) but met with the above argument – “there aren’t really enough people who duck hunt…that’s just the reality of the demographics.”…

Check on the duck and goose calling forum if you can find some callers...

Deion;)

3. wildfowlhunting

wildfowlhunting Senior Refuge Member

I think that there is a huge market waiting to be tapped into! As the media gets more involved, people will have a reaction to it and respond. I do agree we need to have more calling contests as well, this may also bring recognition to the area's. We must actively engage these ventures. Bass Pro shop has seen the possibilities and have done their homework in economics, and found that there is a market, it is a viable one and with limitless possibilities!

4. wingset

wingset Senior Refuge Member

Snogoose,
    I personally would prefer to keep MNWR the "best kept secret" in New England.
    Rememeber... I am a guy who doesn't kiss and tell!!!