Anyone smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by 10ga, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have mentioned this a few times, but for a certain segment of the cooking world, the Orion Smoker is the way to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5X4NoKz90

The advantages are shorter cooking time, and no hassle, AT ALL. I brine my turkey,put chips in the space provided, put it in the Orion, fill the rings with charcoal, cover, light, and walk away. Come back at the appointed time, and take it out.

Because it is covered and sealed, it works like a convection oven, semi-pressure cooker. Meat is VERY juicy.

Downside is the skin is not crispy (but you could put it in the oven for 10 minutes and fix that) and the smoke flavor is not as 'deep'. The smoke ring is only about 1/8-1/4" deep, but the flavor is all through.

I smoke about 5 turkeys a year, along with some primes and ribs. When I am doing a Community Pot Luck, and they ALWAYS ask for me to smoke a turkey, it is pretty simple. Just brine the day before, then drop it in the smoker that morning. 90 minutes later, turkey is done, and no pans to clean up, no checking through the morning.

2. pennywise67

pennywise67 Elite Refuge Member

I run my UDS between 300-350 for turkey's. Skin comes out crispier, and since a bird is already tender, so low and slow is not really necessary. I did a 24lb brined bird in about 4 hours the other day. I always use a probe in the breastand thigh on turkeys, cause they do cook different. I also use a pan to catch drippings :)

3. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

We usually do two each thanksgiving on the Big Green Egg and again at Christmas. I inject them with the creole butter stuff and sprinkle the seasoning on inside and out. I actually don't use any soaked wood chips for smoke, just indirect with the plate setter and the lump charcoal. Do it at 300 degrees until done. They are awesome. Best turkey we've ever eaten. Family stopped frying them after we started this.

4. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Old thread, but relevant to the season.

I have a couple of wild birds that I'm going to smoke for Thanksgiving. I have spatchcocked both birds (boned out, removing all bones except the drumsticks, and leaving the bird totally intact). This is perfect for brining the bird, and then rolling the bird up and lacing it together with butcher's twine. I have used this technique on roasted birds, and it has always

I was curious if anyone has tried this, and if they had any suggestions for what to stuff the birds with. I was thinking just for flavor, not a traditional stuffing. Lemon, and thyme? Orange, and ginger?

5. donk

donk Senior Refuge Member

i'm thinking about smoking some muskrat.

6. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

I'm doing krat as well. Skinned the rascal out and I'm going to make one of those bacon lattice weaves and wrap the rat in it and then wrap it in cheese clothe to keep it moist. I'm hoping it will work on the turkey I'm brining as well.