Anyone still after em'?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Squaller, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Dang good looking crew you got there , all with smiles that would make any Dad Proud ! Nice to see future Hunters in the making .
    You're a Lucky man keeping the hunting interest alive in your family , now go buy more shells , these kids need more practice ! :tu

2. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

☝️He's just being so complimentary because he sees those trees have been pushed out. :dv

Refugeguy,
    Looks like a lot of fun. You better shoot more deer cause it's gonna take a lot of dove to feed that many growing kids. :tu

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Believe it or Not ( RemSpt58 ) you're right on target ! At first I was going to say something about that burn pile , then I thought it would ruin my
    compliments of such a good looking family . I will say , those are the kind of Nut trees I like best other than the abandoned Fig orchard I get to hunt
    South of here , for the last couple years ! We ALL are always looking for prime spots to hunt and what better is the area where Nut trees are pushed up
    in a pile ? Yep , Refugeguy is a lucky man having all that open space without those unsightly trees blocking his view !

4. Spec

Spec Gold Refuge Member

Took JJ out yesterday for a learning hunt he retrieved 15 EURO"s in about a hour he is starting to get the idea about hunting, though he will be mostly a house dog for Donna as he is one hell of a watch dog

Stickboy264 likes this.
  5. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe someone can explain to me. What is a "pro" clay shooter guy?

6. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

It's like a pro-staffer who doesn't have a facebook or instagram.

7. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Exactly, but he must have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express within the last two weeks..

Sprig Hunter likes this.
  8. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Oh so they don't exist......

AJCsurf likes this.
  9. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I'm not really sure, but that's what the guy told me or at least he thought he was one...I don't think he was one.. it don't take much to be a pro in the field of trap/skket
    Here are some...of them trap/skeet/clay shooters...whatever you call them that are real good at shooting little clay birds but can't hit ducks with a hoot ... from what I seen from the guy sitting next to me!!
    http://nsca.nssa-nsca.org/

10. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Not picking on you Mark, but you walked into it. And yea, thats about what I thought. I'm sure this will cause a stir, because it reminds me of the guys that say "He can call judges, but I bet he can't call ducks".

First off, I'm going to leave trap guys out of it. Way different game. But to say it doesn't take much to be a pro at it...where perfection is the rule...as a pro, is completely inaccurate. Go out and put up a 398 / 400. Thats a pro, and don't tell me it aint much. But like I said, its a different game and trap doesn't really translate well to total wing shooting.

For the record. I am a NSCA shooter. Though I took this year off from competition, I shoot master class. Wasn't easy to get there. I've shot all over the country. I've seen, shot with, shot against, drank beer with, ate dinner with, conversated with, took lessons from, a lot of the best in the country. To say these "pros" can't shoot ducks, or doves, is also inaccurate. Largely inaccurate.

I'm sure there are guys that shoot some clays and talk themselves up only to go out and embarrass themselves in the field. I get it. But to insinuate that good clay shooters can't shoot wings in the air, is again, inaccurate. I see many many many hunters on the range that talk about how good they are in the field, to only embarrass themselves on the clay course. A cup cake course at that. And being a level 1 instructor, I see all the flaws.

I only bring this up because I don't want anyone to get the idea that shooting clays does not help one with their shooting in the field. Quite the opposite. But I've seen over the years, that there are folks that go down this route for various reasons. This is also, inaccurate.

There are a few folks that are competitive clay shooters on this board. Straightsixes, leakywaders among others that don't even post (Talking to you MM.). There are others that have had sessions with me, as well as others that have brought their kids out to me on the range. They'll vouch to what I'm saying. And if you think I'm one of those guys that uses a K80, fancy Perazzi or a high end Kolar guess again. Straight Beretta auto.

Clay courses are set in various fashion. Degrees of difficutly are different. Each course, place of business has their own flavor. Yep, there are cup cake courses out there. I've won tournaments when I shot a 86. Came in 5th with a 96. There are values to each one. There is a six station course at Quail Point right now (along with 20+ other stations of lesser difficulty) I'm willing to bet the self proclaimed top wingshots here would not hit 50% of the 50 targets thrown.

Maybe, just maybe, if folks would put more into perfecting their shooting.....there would be less noise, less scraping in the field. As well as, way more fun during the off season shooting clays with the family.

Allan likes this.