Anyone still after em'?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Squaller, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Senior Refuge Member

I'm a one Squaw man

Flyfisher likes this.
  2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I went 6 for 8 on dove the last Sunday of the season. Shot twice at two of the birds that weren't sure they were dead yet and real close to the property boundary. Birds are easy.

I attempted to shoot clays with Cal1000 on Thursday. I'm still trying to recover. I'm pretty sure that I developed an addiction to opioids because of how painfully pitiful I faired.

Not a bad trade off really. I've been high for days.

3. AJCsurf

AJCsurf Elite Refuge Member

Its funny, most of the people hunting dove on opening day on public land are usually on opioids.

4. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

As Scott eluded to I've heard the same argument about clays vs ducks in conversations about comp callers vs field calling. I guess the assumption is that some folks can't be good at both. In many cases that assumption is wrong. In others it is true but that is because they don't choose to be involved in hunting, not that they aren't capable.

Sporting clay shooting should never be compared to skeet or trap. Sporting combines pretty much all shooting mediums into one and the shots constantly change. Nothing fixed about it so memorization takes a lot more. Those who are good at it with hunting roots shoot the pants off most of the veteran hunters here who don't shoot on that level. I've seen it for years and there have been very few exceptions to it. I can say the same for in the calling arena.

Primary difference with regular wingshooting is it isn't difficult to maintain some level of success to get your limit. You don't shoot at 7 clays and get 7 hits then call it a day. You shoot 100 and you can't pick and choose your presentation. Working birds lends one to line up for high percentage shots thus some guys get an inflated impression about how good they really think they are. Put them on a claybusters set on a tough weekend and they fail by clayshooter standards. Same applies for the caller who gets on Main Street and can't ring his call. That stuff worked in Alaska but that isn't the game on Main Street. Yet you have guys like Stephens or Zink who have succeeded at both mediums. Same applies to clays.

Bottom line is the folks who choose to make such proclamations about the guy who shoots clays but can't kill ducks thrive off the put down. The generalization here rallies the like minded and makes folks feel better about themselves. Unlike some here I have a world of respect for the shooters who put the work in to reach that level of greatness. It may not be my cup of tea as I enjoy my level of success in much simpler game of wingshooting and keep things within parameters of my own skill level. I've focus my effort and work into other aspects but also honed my shooting enough to know where I need to be. I cannot match the level these folks are at but don't need to either because hunting has unique characteristics that separate it on its own. With that said, I never feel too far away from coaching if I hit a glitch and need an expert to pick me back up. I'm not going to put words into Seaters mouth but I think that is where he was coming from too. Hunting is a different animal so most folks don't need to spend thousands to reach a basic level of success that satisfies them.

I hope folks find the mutual respect but so often we run the same circles around here. Guess it is just our competitive nature.....

Kevin