Anyone still around?

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by Ducky CPA, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Shot Caller

Shot Caller Senior Refuge Member

I'm gonna do something I have never done in the 20 or so years of fowling. I'm gonna get a bird mounted. My boy was with me on this hunt and was so excited about how cool this goose looked he asked me if he could keep it in his room.

For some reason I cannot upload a pic at this time. I'll try later

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Shot Caller

IMG_20170119_163837624.jpg Got it now. Should make a nice mount however he chooses

3. Capt Mike

Capt Mike New Member

I'm new to the Refuge and just getting back into waterfowl hunting again.
    I have been hunting LM around the state line and the Portage area for geese. The action has been slow but steady.
    I'm picking up a new dog in a week or so. Are there any retrieving/hunting clubs in the area?
    I had to put my lab down in the spring. This summer a friend gave me a 4y/o Flat Coat Retriever. He was a trained show and agility dog who never hunted. Turned out to be a great pet and great boat dog(I spend almost all summer living and working on LM), however, he's not much of a hunter.
    I did take him pheasant and goose hunting. He retrieved with a lot of pushing from me, but no hunting drive(Can't teach an old dog new tricks?). Goose hunting.jpg Michael & Jake.png Tired Jake.png Goose hunting.jpg Michael & Jake.png Tired Jake.png

Shot Caller and Big Ches like this.
  4. occasional ducker

occasional ducker Senior Refuge Member

Man Ches and Oldman are slipping. There's a thread below this concerning a fellow hunters dog passing away. Ches hasn't chimed in about how his dog lived longer and was just generally a better retriever, making sure everyone understood his superiority, and Oldman hasn't chastised the dude for shooting ducks to far away, thus making the dog make longer retrieves than necessary and shorting his life. Implying that as a hunter he sucks.

Truly the Indiana forum is going to hell in a hand basket.

5. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

Still waiting on that name and address in new pal so we can grab a beer and talk over old times. How was your duck season old buddy?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. Shot Caller

I re-started my account with the fuge in 2012 or so but had been a member "under another name" since mid 2000's just never posted. Once the change over happened I lost my sign on and had to setup another sign on.

Anyway, in the last 10+ years of being on here I don't think I can remember one post from Occasional Ducker that was in anyway a constructive/useful post. Dude is either thin skinned and full of hate or gets his berries off by trolling and spewing crap.

DEC and Big Ches like this.
  7. Shot Caller

There are several gun dog training videos out there that could possibly help. You stated above the dog was trained for showing, so he should be fairly steady "which is good". First thing, I would work on is getting him force fetched if he isn't already. Sounds like he will pick up birds so that is good. Some dogs have more drive then others but naturally they all are bred to hunt. Beings he was never hunted before has alot to do with him not showing drive during a hunt. I wouldn't give up on him and I believe the more field time and gun dog training he gets the more hunt will come out of him. I'm in southern Indiana so I can't help you with a retriever club up north but sounds like a very good idea and would help you and the dog. Good luck

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Still here, not a very good season, BUT good to be alive and staying above ground! ;) I was hoping on Turkey season, but screwed my knee up getting in a blind at the Kank (they need to put a couple of more rungs in the ladder) and may need it 'scoped! :yes Or am I getting old? :eek: maybe we can set up a shoot bat Back 40 for all or any IN members - they have a place where we could have a couple of cold ones and a cookout or something?

Big Ches likes this.
  9. oldman1949

oldman1949 Elite Refuge Member

If you get that going Virg put me in . Just need to know when to be there .

Big Ches likes this.
  10. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

On a different note--Tax season is upon us, gotta love it!

College baseball season opened up last weekend with the Hoosiers going 2-2 out in Arizona. Hoosiers headed to Boca Raton for a 3 game series this weekend. Go Hoosiers!!

techfowl and Big Ches like this.