Anyone trying a new broadhead??

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Dusty05, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Forget the Grim Reapers.

A few years ago, I bought a three pack to give them a try.

I shot a buck and the arrow did weird things after impact and actually travelled up spining the deer from the bottom side. Yup, he went down on the spot but crawled up to where I couldn't whack him again and had to listen to him.

Well, he called another bigger buck so, I decided that I may as well deal with two as easy as one so I could get back to duck hunting. I sent an arrow and whacked him good. He turned and went away and was having a tough time.

That arrow didn't blow through either and I had very little blood along the route that I knew he had taken.

I went in for dinner and to get the tracking light and some help. Still no blood. We circled around to where I new he would have to cross a trail and found him piled up in the trail. Tried to back track and still no blood.

That arrow had done weird stuff too and had stayed completely inside his body cavity after what had been almost a broadside shot.

Sure, I was two for two but threw the third Grim Reaper away and went back to more conventional razor heads.

Some of that wild looking stuff just doesn't produce the expected results. Granted, only two hits is not an adequate sampling but, it was good enough for me.

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Please, Please, Please DO NOT shoot the Grim Reaper heads. They're hard enough for me to find, I don't want you guys buying them up.

I switched to them last year after having Slik Triks plane on me twice. Glad I did, because I've shot 5 deer with them now and had every single one die in sight. Never had another broadhead come close to that.

Shot a 10 point with them Friday that was quartering to me. Arrow went through the shoulder blade right by the joint, cutting a lot of the connective tissue around the joint and it still blew completely through the deer, taking out the top of the heart and both lungs and a rib on the way out for good measure. He didn't make it 50 yards.

I shoot more than enough poundage and heavy enough arrows that I've never had a problem with penetration, deflection or any of the other so-called problems with them. And yes, all mighty god of bows and ducks, my bow is tuned just fine, including shooting fixed blade heads.

3. metaluno67

metaluno67 Elite Refuge Member

That's the biggest crock of **** I've ever read. I used to shoot Muzzy's religiously and my bow was tuned perfect. I've killed my fair share of deer with a bow. from 40 yrd track jobs to 300yrd. Since switching to Rage I've only once had to track over 40 yrds and that was just on Sat on a high hit buck. The Rage took both lungs and the top of the liver.
    That was shooter error not the broadhead.
    Maybe you should stick to your screen name.
    Here's the result of the rage 2 blade, no way is the muzzy going to create that big of an entrance hole. I think I may have had a little longer track job with a fixed head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Oh....AND a rage fanboy to boot!! Wow.....You have some trouble with reading comprehension......and if you were the big hunter you claim to be.....You would have known EXACTLY what the guy was trying to say.....

Let me break it down for you......

In order to shoot a muzzy (for example) you have to broadhead tune your bow....thus meaning you have to know what you are doing and make the adjustments needed in order to get them to fly like fieldpoints........

Nowdays - you have lazy hunters/inexperienced hunters that just screw a Rage on there and shoot it....it flies like a field point sure....but does that mean the bow is tuned????????? Uhhhh....not likely.

5. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

You blindly assume that everyone that shoots expanables doesn't tune their bow. I still broadhead tune my bow every season with fixed blade heads, but shoot Grim Reapers because they perform better.

Try again...

6. metaluno67

Comprehension is fine. He said that guys that swithched to expandables didn't know how to tune a bow with a fixed blade.
    If you would have comprehended what I said. I shot muzzys for years and my bow was tuned for them. Let me put it to you this way when I switched to Rage the POI was only off by 1 inch. So the tune of my bow was pretty darn accurate. Slight adjusment and it was in.
    I have a muzzy in my quiver as we speak, the POI is so close I would not hesitate to use it and still make a clean kill.

7. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

No, that is not what I said. I said the reason expandables were invented was for folks that didn't know how to tune or wouldn't tune their bow. They were invented to have a broad head that would fly like a field point without having to broadhead tune a bow. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

8. metaluno67

and this is different from what I said how?

9. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

Because you quit reading......he also said..."or wouldn't tune their bow".......It as absurd to hold yourself as the benchmark for all other hunters don't you think?

Why is it that some of the biggest marketing ploys coming from expandable broadheads are "shoots like a field point"?????

Because the majority of todays hunters don't know how to tune a bow....so they sight in their field points.....and when they throw a muzzy on there, they freak out because it is 8 inches off......BUT...when they put an expandable on there - it shoots like a field point....So they go with it.

10. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Tried a new one last year and this year...both with equal success. :tu

Last year I used a Fuse Banshee. This is a fixed 3 blade broadhead that is cut-on-contact and has a short ferrule. Like most short ferruled broadheads they fly like field points and to the same P.O.I. as field points. I was able to consistantly hit a 3" target dot at 50 yards with them.

This year I used a Carbon Express Assault LP-3. This is a fixed 3 blade broadhead that has a chisel point that matches the blades. It's very much like the N.A.P. Nitron, but cost much less @ $20 for a 3 pk. vs. $35 for a 3 pk. It flys and performs the same as the Fuse Banshee.

Also, both last year and this year I used a Razor Trick, on the bucks that I shot. Like the above broadheads, this one is fixed blade and 1 1/8" cutting diameter with the same flight charactoristics.

Penetration and blood trails were excellent on all of the above and I would highly recommend them all. :tu

'09 Buck with a Razor Trick.
    [​IMG]

'09 Doe with a Fuse Banshee.
    [​IMG]

'10 Buck with a Razor Trick.
    [​IMG]

'10 Doe with a Carbon Express Assault LP-3.
    [​IMG]

Good hunting, Bowhunter57