Anyone use your dog in a kayak

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Sodfather, Feb 15, 2018.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I hunted out of Carsten Bluebill for several years. Some hunts on the
    Mississippi River were rather exciting. :h A bigger boat proved to be
    less "exciting". :l

Daisy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taffey
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    jzee likes this.
  2. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Mine is an old Bobcat Boats Mag2. Best small I have ever hunted from.

3. Slick

Slick Senior Refuge Member

Yrs ago I hunted marshes in my '12 custom fiberglass trapper's skiff w/ my 55 lb lab....no problems. But be sure to intro your dog to the skiff beforehand so she's well adjusted and make sure she is rock steady on sit/down/stay/place commands. Use a jacket that has handles on side for helping dog out of water.

4. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    American Water Spaniels were actually developed and breed to be hunted out of skiffs or pirogue's, old fashion Kayaks. Market hunters bred them in WI so they wouldn't Rock the Boat , so hence their size.

volsquackhead likes this.
  5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I would make sure the water was shallow.

6. Mousehunter

Mousehunter New Member

I enjoy kayaking and even have a pirogue-but have not gone out with dogs in them often. Will probably include it in drills some this year. Of the 3 dogs and attempts, 2 made me nervous and the 3rd terrified the dog

7. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Native Watercraft makes a boat they call an Ultimate FX15. It is around 80 pounds with the seat in it and is totally open. It has a weight capacity of over 500 pounds and is made in a solo or tandem version. It comes in a camo color they call Hidden Oak that is olive, tan and black. It will handle a big lab and hunter with no problems. It has a tri-hull shape that puts most of the hulls flotation on the sides of the boat to really help the stability. Another possibility if you can find one since they aren't made anymore is the Old Town Predator...it was a large cockpit sit-inside kayak that was low to the water. For sit-on-tops, Jackson's BigRig is a big kayak that will handle about any load but the dog will have to sit behind you in the tankwell. Here is an old shot of my older Native Ultimate 14. It was a good creek boat but I wouldn't trust it on a lake. I used a canoe paddle with it to keep the paddle flash down while floating down creeks...that seems to flush birds more than anything. The new FX15 will handle any water.
    OpeningDay0909-028.jpg