Anyopne had this happen?? BPS conundrum...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Bought a BPS in 20ga last season and have been using it more than the 12 for ducks. Last season I shot Kent Fasteel in 3" pretty well exclusively and never had an issue.
    This season I tracked down and bought a case of Upland Fasteel 2 3/4" and have been shooting it in 5's.
    About 10 days ago I fired on a woody and the action locked up with the spent shell in the chamber... it wouldn't budge. I thought maybe I got a hot round and the brass swelled (or something) and gave the butt a hit on the ground and that freed it up, but left the hull in the chamber (weird). When I cycled the action again it ejected the casing like nothing ever happened. No marks on the brass when inspected.
    This weekend it happened again. Again, a mild hit on the ground freed it up, this time it pulled the casing back without having to cycle again. This is twice now in maybe a box of shells (probably less). I have no idea what's causing this? The gun still looks new.. very clean, not a speck of rust. I put maybe 100 rounds of 3 inchers through it last year without even a hiccup. This has only happened with the 2 3/4" Kents, which also have shorter brass than their 3" counterparts.

Thoughts?

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Had the same thing happen recently, turned out the brass had split on the side of a new shell and it jammed in the chamber. Had to take a stick and shove down the barrel to get it out.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Have you scrubbed the chamber out lately?

Remove barrel and place in a vise.

Take a 16 gauge bronze bristle brush, on a single section of cleaning rod & chuck it into a drill. Spray some gun scrubber type cleaner up into the chamber while making multiple passes in and out with the brush. Next, wrap a thin layer of OOO steel wool over the (use a 20 gauge version) brush and polish the chamber until it shines like a new penny. Mop it dry and try the shorter shotshells. You should be good to go.

BPS appear to have chambers that are sensitive to even the slightest buildup of plastic scuffing residue. The above procedure is what I had to do on my BPS 20 & BPS 16.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Boop, there it is!!!

5. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

My 12ga BPS has done this since day 1 with fast Kent shells. I've shot a lot of other shells thru it and none have ever stuck. Just Kent.

6. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

In my BPS 20ga. The ejector slot in the barrel needed to be filed a touch to open it up. What it would do, is cause the ejector to rub and it rounded over the ejector. A touch with the file sharpened it just fine. Look at these two things. The ejector slot is final machined hit or miss on the BPS. I have heard about it on 10ga-12ga also.

7. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I've never had a problem with Kents but know several guys in my club who can't run them through their autoloader. They jam constantly.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

This does not sound like the hulls are hanging up in the chamber....I say this because the hulls are not hanging up in the chamber. :no
    It sounds like a mechanical problem in the action of the gun. I'd take it to a competent gunsmith, tell him exactly what's happening, and let him look it over. Again, this does not sound like a chamber or hull issue.

9. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Then there is the issue where a seed or pine needle gets behind the shell latch.

10. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I’ve polished the chamber on every BPS I’ve ever owned...

Kent & EM shells were getting stuck as described...

JP describes what I would consider to be excellent polishing advice...