Anyopne had this happen?? BPS conundrum...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I've been shooting a 20ga BPS for about 17 years. Never polished the chamber. Never had to.
    Maybe the new ones aren't as finished as the older ones.
    From what the OP tells us, the hull is not sticking in his gun's chamber; the action just fails to unlock at times.

2. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

Kent Fasteel shells stuck in my BPS 12.

3. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

I still think it is an ejector issue. Some day the original poster will respond with what was found. A good operating Ejector will grab even the poorly constructed hull rims.

4. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I have been checking this with interest through the week. Gun kit is at the camp... will have a closer look on the weekend.

If it's a gunsmith fix it will have to wait... the few we have are generally overloaded with deer and moose rifles this time of year.
    I had an issue with my 11-87 a couple years ago that I wasn't entirely sure about. Dropped it off for a week and gave them the part to boot. They never even looked at it. I fixed it myself.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

As a whole, gunsmiths are a pretty independent bunch.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Tell me. I had a crotchity old smith install a recoil pad on a deer rifle and when I picked it up, I was turning the gun in the light to admire the wood (it did have some nice figure) and he opined that us young guns should rake our gun up and down a barbwire fence then we wouldn't worry about a tiny ding.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Had the same thing happen yesterday to my BPS 10ga. Shooting reloads. This morning I checked the chamber, Very dirty from crimp sealer. But I suspect that shell was just reloaded too many times at max pressure as the main cause for the jam. Crimp was shredded pretty badly. Remington hull on about the 5th reload cycle.

8. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

When that first jam happened, I didn't know what I was going to do for a fraction of a second... then I remembered reading (probably on here back in the day) about guys developing loads and shooting them in their 3" BPS's because apparently, Browning manufactured/tested them to 3 1/2" pressure specs. As was reported then, a hot round would swell and stick.. a butt plate smack on the ground was needed to resume shooting.

9. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Refuge Member

I used to own a BPS(I wish I still had it). The BPS has been and always will be prone to being ammo sensitive. My old BPS would not cycle Drylocks reliably. Just Drylocks. I don't think Kent was even made back then. But it would feed Nitro Steel like butter. I have known several people who have owned or do own BPS's, theirs had the same adverse reaction to Drylocks. Bear in mind however, this is 20 year old data coming from someone who traded the BPS in on a Browning Gold Hunter many years ago. I wish I had kept the BPS and just bought the BGH outright.

10. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

My brother and I both bought BPS' back in the 80's. Mine did this all the time with a variety of ammo. His didn't. Squeaky clean. Went to the gunsmith several times. I've also heard this story many times. The final straw was when I needed a follow up shot on a hard hit bird after just getting it back from the gunsmith. We both got rid of 'em. Too many fine firearms out there to put up with that.