Anyopne had this happen?? BPS conundrum...

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Northhunter, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I have had this issue with both my BPS and my trusty Wingmaster. I've shot the Wingmaster for 40 years and have only experienced this jamming in recent years. I think it is a combination of the modern fast powder and crappy plastic hulls. Polishing the chamber fixes the problem.

I won't shoot the Fasteel anymore because of this problem.

2. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Refuge Member

There are a lot of guns, like the BPS and the Wingmaster that are ammo sensitive. Don't confuse the Wingmaster with the 870 Express. Some guns like the Winchester Model 12 (and all the Winchester pumps for that matter) or the Mossberg 500 that would feed whatever you put in it. The Mossberg 500 would feed a can of corn through the action if you could get it in the magazine tube. I don't really view ammo sensitivity as a problem. Once identified, feed your gun the preferred ammo. I like the BPS. It's bottom ejection doesn't make it a fast pump(like the Model 12, Model 1200/1300/120's), but it makes it perfectly suited for duck hunting in that the bottom ejection protects the action from rain, salt water from the shaking of the dog, cattail fuzz, dirt, debris, etc. It also ejects the shell straight down into the boat/blind making clean up easier. On top of that, the BPS is elegant piece of workmanship designed by John Browning himself. I don't think I have ever seen one of his designs I didn't like.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

After 50 some years of shooting my 870's and Mod 12's , I have never found a shell they didn't like as I've kept the chambers clean along with
    the rest of the gun . The only reaction that was often something I experienced was , while shooting Buffered loads back in the ( Good Old ) Lead
    days , was the action on my 870's would open by themselves upon firing so my ability to shoot 3 quick shots as I only had to slam the action forward !
    There hasn't been a quality pump gun made sense these Wingmasters and Mod 12's were discontinued but I agree , the BPS are by far better than
    the rest !

4. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I must have three defective guns as I have/had three that have/had issues with Kent Fasteel sticking in the chamber. Others must have bought defective guns from similar manufacturers. Actually my thoughts are that there are issues with Kent Fasteel and once I shoot up the remainder of my supply, I won't buy them any more.

5. Ravenanme

I wouldn't doubt your experience with your guns but to condemn a shell that has the same dimensions as all the others on the market .....sounds fishy ?
    Kents are a reliable ammo manufacture that has been in business of offering quality shotshells for a long time , IF, there was a problem with a run of a
    certain Shell , I could understand your problem and that , might be the case , OR , you need to do a better job of cleaning the guns you're having trouble
    with . I do know with Kent's laying around in a Damp environment are a problem so one needs to protect them as much as possible , a plastic bag helps !

6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

He's not the only one one to have that experience. I won't shoot them either.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I like them, but I have read the same thing on these forums often. Not sure why. Brass .0001" thinner, so it expands more at firing? Who knows, but it is something beyond just a dirty chamber.

8. Ravenanme

Dang that's interesting , the Kent's shipped to this state must be a better shell than what you fellas get as there's a lot of fellas here who swear by them !
    I shot the 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz of 1's for 6 years ( about 4 flats a year ) and never had a problem with them , other than , I had to keep them as dry as I could !
    Now I just load my own but it's the same load as the Kent's !

9. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

This is along the same line I'm thinking. I've even had to use another shell to hook the rim on a fired one in order to yank it out.

Also, I've been shooting shotguns since 1960 so I am familar with dirty chambers and guns. When I see the same issue in three different guns with one being squeaky clean and the other brand new... it ain't dirty chambers or forcing cones.

10. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

It was mentioned the BPS was designed by John Browning. It was not. John Browning's pump action shotgun designs include the Winchester 1897, Remington 17, Ithaca 37 and Stevens 520.

The 17 and 37 are bottom eject. They're almost identical when you take them apart. They're simple with few parts and most brain dead people can maintain them. The Wingmaster is slightly simpler because you're not dealing with screws. The 37 trigger assembly is the simplest I've ever seen. Both the 37 and 870 can be field stripped and washed out in a creek if necessary. The 37, you will need a small screwdriver to take the yoke off to pull the bolt.

The BPS is a totally different animal. It's more complicated and can be troublesome during assembly after breaking it clear down. It was introduced in 1977 and had a cutoff switch on the magazine. Browning later discontinued the switch. Because it's a righty/lefty shotgun, it would of been ideal for law enforcement. It was never adopted because of reliability issues. Which the 37 and 870 were. The first 12ga. 3-1/2" models were built on the 10ga. frame. Which was later changed. That was one of it's major selling points, the 3-1/2" availability. They're were manufactured in Japan from the get go.

If you don't own one and thinking about buying one, they're not the cat's meow for a pump. I shot one very well. A high of 75% on doves in a strong wind and some duck limits with the same number of shots. But to put it bluntly, their design for a bottom eject sucks. It's not John Browning like. They do have a following and many people love them. They have tight tolerances.